Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Right Price Chemicals shut down
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 07:57
Right Price Chemicals shut down

I was going through my supplier list to see which ones were still active and it looks like Right Price Chemicals was shut down in late 2020. Kind of late news, but summary below.

Quote:
The Eastern District sought and obtained a temporary restraining order (“TRO”) under the Controlled Substances Act on July 13, 2020, on the grounds that Jake’s Fireworks was a drug-involved premises. The government alleged that Jake’s Fireworks was a front for Right Price Chemicals, a company alleged to have distributed 1,4 butanediol, commonly referred to as “BDO” across the country in violation of federal law...

Quote:
In his order granting the preliminary injunction, Judge Truncale explained the evidence showed:

Right Price Chemicals ordered and shipped BDO out of the Jake’s Fireworks premises;
BDO was stored in and around the Jake’s Fireworks premises;
Right Price Chemicals’ business offices and operations were situated within the Jake’s Fireworks building;
Employees of Right Price Chemicals, including Jake Daughtry, knew that BDO was a “controlled substance analogue” and that customers were using BDO for human consumption; and
Right Price Chemicals continued to sell BDO for human consumption despite knowing it was being used illegally.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edtx/pr/ake-s-fireworks-and-rig...

Interesting that 1,4-butanediol is not a DEA controlled substance or a state of Texas controlled substance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEA_list_of_chemicals https://dshs.texas.gov/drugs/controlled-substances.aspx I'm assuming the judge's ruling was on the basis of it being a prodrug, despite the legislation mentioning nothing about prodrugs?

Quote:
-Schedule I depressants
Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, a material, compound, mixture, or preparation that contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system, including the substance's salts, isomers, and salts of isomers if the existence of the salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:

(1) Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (Other names: GHB; gammahydroxybutyrate; 4-hydroxybutyrate; 4-hydroxybutanoic acid; sodium oxybate; sodium oxybutyrate);
(2) Mecloqualone; and
(3) Methaqualone.

I guess the takeaway is that certain non-listed chemicals should be treated with as much scrutiny as listed chemicals and their isomers. Wayback Archive has some snapshots of their website, if you want to take a trip down memory lane. https://web.archive.org/web/*/rightpricechemicals.com
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 08:18

Anyone knowingly profiting off the sale of date rape drugs deserves to be put out of business and probably imprisoned too.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
dawt
Hazard to Self

Mood: fluorescent

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 11:32

Alcohol is by far the #1 date rape drug. Just sayin' ...

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 11:53

That's an absurd comparison. Just sayin'

monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 12:10

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
That's an absurd comparison. Just sayin'

It's not necessarily a date rape drug. Some people use it recreationally.

I guess my other point is: while it's not applicable in this case (since the owners admitted to selling it for human consumption) should chemical vendors, who exercise reasonable judgement, be held legally/morally liable for the actions of their customers?
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 13:00

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
I guess my other point is: while it's not applicable in this case (since the owners admitted to selling it for human consumption) should chemical vendors, who exercise reasonable judgement, be held legally/morally liable for the actions of their customers?
In the case of compounds like GHB analogs/prodrugs that have a lot of potential for abuse and relatively few uses in legitimate chemistry, yes, I think they should. If you know that most people who buy a chemical from you are likely abusing it, but you keep selling it anyway, even if you say it's not for human consumption, then you're an irresponsible and negligent business owner.

Taking appropriate measures to assure that the customer has a legitimate use isn't hard. If I ran a small chemical company that supplied 1,4-butanediol, and a customer wanted to order some, I would contact them to ask what their intended use is. If they reply with an explanation that sounds intelligent and reasonable, I'll ship it. Now I've got a paper trail showing that I shipped the chemical in good faith after trying to ensure it wouldn't be abused, should it turn out that they were lying. I wouldn't ship it to any states that have listed it as a controlled substance at the state level either. This would not infringe on anyone's rights, as it would be my right as a business to refuse service to anyone. If I ask a customer to provide a reasonable explanation for why they need a suspicious chemical, and they refuse, it's well within my rights to not ship the chemical. Ultimately though, if I ran a small chemical supplier, I would not sell 1,4-butanediol or other potential GHB analogs, or any direct recreational drug precursors that have few other uses, because it wouldn't be worth the hassle or the unwanted attention it would draw to my company.

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 29-3-2022 at 23:34

seems rather silly to pour an disgustingly salty goo into someones drink. if theyre so pissdrunk they dont taste that, then you might just take a hike if you cant talk her into having a couple extra drinks at that
infact the easiest way- as the old man taught me before he took off his shoes for the last time is to mix in a juice concentrate like elderflower with vodka, and pour in plenty of the juice concentrate. this proved efficient in dealing with all sorts of authority figures, from schoolteachers to much more dangerous uniforms
frankly, i dont see why others than price that anyone would prefer the saltier option

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
katyushaslab
Hazard to Self

Mood: precipitating

[*] posted on 6-4-2022 at 23:50

Where I used to live, GHB is pretty commonly used recreationally - it is apparently extremely enjoyable. Dosing it is also so fucking risky, and it comes with the "baggage" of being used maliciously, that a number of nightclubs that otherwise had extremely relaxed policies around drug use specifically prohibited GHB on safety grounds.

From reading the article though, even taking with a hefty pinch of "healthy mistrust of the DoJ" salt, it sounds a lot like RPC/JF owners knew exactly what they were doing, and attempted to structure their business to conceal that.

Go To Top