Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Not allow to purchase cryogenic equipment
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2024 at 08:19

You can turn a small air conditioner into a cold trap.

Attachment: Alcohol_Cold_Trap.pdf (684kB)
This file has been downloaded 55 times

Substitute refrigerants:

R-123 = N-Butane (They use this in liters, BP 0.5c) This functions to cool the compressor and scavenge oil.

R-22 = R-290 (Propane, BBQ grade can work if dried well, BP -40c, this does the heavy lifting for the final stage refrigerant)

R-23 = Ethane, main final stage refrigerant.

[Edited on 21-1-2024 by XeonTheMGPony]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2024 at 08:30

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
That is great info. I used to use Savants all of the time, and am using a RVT400 as a cold trap right now at work, been going for years now, never turn it off, that makes them last. I have seen them sold on Ebay for many years, and there are a few companies that sell them used, but never heard of any FDA rules, might be afraid that you will do something illegal with them.

But if you ever want glassware for them, I might still have one or two traps left for them, not quite sure what I have now. Sold most on Ebay a few years ago, but had one or two left, I think.

And I am trying to learn HVAC stuff, so your info is great. The -100 Savant does use ethane, I think, and I believe that most new cold appliances use isobutane as the refrigerant, as it is non-CFC and no global warming potential, just might blow your house up, but even that is unlikely. Maybe you can teach some virtual classes on here.

Iso Butane is R-600a, N-Butane is often used as well as an oil scavenger and to cool the compressor, the Fluorocarbon version was 123A in cascade systems

it all so acts as an oil scavenger improving the cold side performance, a good system design is to over size the condenser a bit and use an ounce of N-Butane

I have a lot of materials on this stuff as I used to do a fair bit of system building.

Attachment: AG31-007.pdf (870kB)
This file has been downloaded 49 times

Attachment: Refrig_Data_Sum[1].pdf (141kB)
This file has been downloaded 40 times

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top