Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Legality of methylenedioxy-tryptamines
lithiumion656
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 17:40
Legality of methylenedioxy-tryptamines

I have been investigating the synthesis of the barely studied 4,5 and 5,6 methylenedioxy substituted tryptamines and their N,N-dimethyl and diethyl counterparts. However I do not wish to actually work on improving synthesis methods if the substances created will be considered controlled substance analogs and would cause trouble with the DEA.

Their official definition is:
"the term "controlled substance analogue" means a substance --
(i) the chemical structure of which is substantially similar to the chemical structure of a controlled substance in schedule I or II;
(ii) which has a stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system that is substantially similar to or greater than [such effect] of a controlled substance in schedule I or II; or
(iii) with respect to a particular person, which such person represents or intends to have a stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect on the central nervous system that is substantially similar to or greater than [such effect] of a controlled substance in schedule I or II."

Generally, this writing has been legally interpreted to have an "and" after section (i) which does simplify the meaning somewhat.

As of this year the DEA is considering scheduling certain other substituted tryptamines which do not appear to be controlled under the analogue act, and are much more structurally similar to any of the currently scheduled tryptamines which should provide protection from section (i): (https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/01/14/2022-00...)

Additionally, as there is no real data regarding their pharmacological effects, I do believe that sections (ii) and (iii) can be disregarded for the time being until someone can provide such data.

In 2006 there was a request for data on many tryptamine compounds including some of those of interest (https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2006/08/04/E6-1259...) but I have seen no documentation of significance since.

This is not legal advice, but if any of you were to be working with such substances, would you be concerned about their potential labelling as a controlled substance analog?
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 19:36

They are controlled substance analogues if they are active as psychedelics or entactogens with activity similar to DMT, aET, or 4-HO-DMT, yes. That about covers the range of interesting activity you could get out of these things, so you should probably assume they qualify. However, the Analog Act generally applies to the distribution of such materials, so you shouldn't be terribly concerned if you're not selling anything. You would have as much trouble with the laws regarding lab safety and registration in many cases.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
lithiumion656
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 05:05

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
They are controlled substance analogues if they are active as psychedelics or entactogens with activity similar to DMT, aET, or 4-HO-DMT, yes.

So assuming any potential activity is not very similar to any controlled tryptamines, I should be fine? I don't really want to investigate the effects personally, but I hope if synthesis methods could be improved maybe they become a more discussed group of chemicals, with the potential for being having their own unique properties.

And it's a fairly complex synthesis I want the challenge of working with.

[Edited on 6-10-2022 by lithiumion656]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 10-6-2022 at 06:29

If you have no intention for you or anyone else to consume the materials that you produce, then the Analog Act does not apply, period. I mean, I wouldn't go around advertising it, but the act is very clear about the human consumption requirement.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]

Go To Top