Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Are you guys using ChatGPT
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-6-2023 at 05:52

It indeed is a matter of training data. In theory we could make an AI, which would be amazing at chemistry if it worked through terabytes of texts about chemistry and if people were supervising it (remember, just passing data is not enough, supervised learning is used).

I myself installed Stable Diffusion on my PC with an RTX 3060 video adapter for the inference engine, and there I observe the same issue with training data. If I ask the system to generate images of people, including hands and feet, then frequently, the hands and feet look deformed (strange fingers, not 5 fingers on one hand, feet melted together, etc.), while faces look very natural. This is because in most models the trainign set contains many many faces, while the number of hands and feet in images is much lower. There are models, which were trained for the special purpose of generating images of people, and these models perform better, but these same models perform worse on general images, like landscapes, machines, etc.

I also tried what the standard Stable Diffusion 1.5 model makes from a prompt like "cloud of nitrogen dioxide". it produced a picture of a landscape with houses and trees, and a big white cloud originating from some spot. It looked like a quite realistic picture of a steam cloud, but not like NO2 at all.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2023 at 07:40

Some part of scientific knowledge organization requires logical reasoning, not only training by examples. This is about the fact that any rule can have exceptions and they should be organized like a system of knowledge. The disadvantage of neural networks is they could not reveal how the data is organized.
SnailsAttack
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2023 at 11:30

Untitled.png - 59kB Fv7S7oNWcAEF9JJ.jpg - 79kB

the uses of ChatGPT range from a novel search engine with a uniquely governable perspective to a shitpost generator

mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 1-7-2023 at 08:22

There's a riddle I've always remembered, partly because of how foolish I felt at being stumped, when I heard the answer:
Quote:
A father and his son are going on a fishing trip. They load the car up with tackle boxes and a cooler, and head out of town for their favorite spot on the river. Unfortunately, as they merge onto the freeway, a semi changes into their lane and rams their station wagon off the road. The father is killed instantly, and the son, mortally wounded, is rushed to the hospital, where the nurses hurriedly prep him for surgery. But then the surgeon comes into the operating room, turns pale, and says: "I can't operate on this boy! He's my son!"

I have admit, the current generation of "AI" is a big step up from the ELIZA chatbots I grew up with, in terms of size and sophistication. Still, I would not take their output much more seriously than I would a known bullshitter's, and I don't expect their downsides to be resolved simply by throwing larger and larger training sets at them.

One thing is that there's a ceiling to the amount of text available for training, with some forecasts predicting exhaustion within a few years. Using model-generated input can tank model performance. This means that we probably can't just turn the spigot and generate a useful dataset. It also means that as the web fills up with algorithmically generated press releases, wikipedia articles, and forum posts, training sets are likely to be of lower and lower quality. Even attempts to gather fresh data might be difficult, given the temptation to get a machine to produce it: a recent survey found that more than a third of Mechanical Turk workers were using LLMs to generate content. (I think that this is especially ironic given the mechanical Turk aspects of "artificial" intelligence systems, which cat require substantial human labor needed behind the scenes in order to function. This labor often takes place under outright exploitative conditions)

A different point comes from this example riffing on a joke by Zach Weinersmith about the infamously counterintuitive Monty Hall problem :

Fy6v2bfXoAEGxWR.jpeg - 53kB

Fy7Yft4WAAAPY5I.jpeg - 74kB

Fy599inWYAEE3wB.jpeg - 23kB

The software can generate syntactically well-formed sentences, and a large probability distribution will tend to make them pragmatically and semantically correct, or at least sensible. But is that really substrate for abstract reasoning? In these cases, apparently not; even when it comes up with the correct answer, it can't explain why; it just free associates in the probabilistic neighborhood of "goat" + "door" + "car". For this question at least, it would probably have done better trained on a smaller corpus that didn't discuss the probability puzzle!

Similar is their tendency to simply make stuff up, fabricating everything from research papers to court cases. Is this a symptom of too little training data? Or is it just something that happens in systems sufficiently large and complex to give the appearance of knowledge? In the second case, why wouldn't a bigger corpus do anything but give more material to draw hallucinations from?

Fug5Q6gWcAA9H1i.png - 66kB

Some attorneys are women, like some surgeons. Maybe they don't make up a majority of either profession, but when confronted with its parsing error, the chatbot's justification isn't quantitative; the response is to chide the user, for constructing a sentence so badly as to suggest such logical nonsense as a pregnant attorney! A better explanation is the that the texts it trained on weren't written from a social vacuum. They generally came from societies where the riddle I started with might be puzzling. If you fed it more texts written from within the same social arrangement, or one that shares many biases and unstated assumptions, would it get better at avoiding them?

Honestly, it's starting to sound familiar...
FwBqMw6WwAEB9-Y.png - 79kB

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 2-7-2023 at 00:32

ChatGPT has had various instance of going horribly wrong.
If it doesn't know the answer it makes crap up.
Which to be fair, humans do too.

The problem occurs when you try to use a language model for empirical knowledge.
Examples - a chemical procedure, a legal citation, building a bridge, diagnosing an illness

It also won't fly planes or drive cars.
Using it with computer code can get you about 80% of the way there, but so can a beginning programmer.
The difference being ChatGPT code is syntactically correct but algorithmically dubious for any complex problem.

ChatGPT is useful for taking knowledge you already have and transforming it into writing.
It is not useful for answering questions requiring accurate answers to complex multistep problems.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 17:25

"thanks; I hate it"

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top