Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Free chemicals for SM members in Australia
averageaussie
Hazard to Self

Mood: school :(

[*] posted on 21-8-2023 at 15:14

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Thanks for the steady enquiries.
Here is the list of all that remains. I am keen to get it off my hands. If you want to take the whole lot I will throw in a little bit of glassware as well.

• Bismuth nitrate – 200g
  • Copper nitrate 900g
  • Potassium permanganate estimated 500g
  • Basic cobalt carbonate ~500g
  • Chromium nitrate nonahydrate ~80g
  • Anhydrous sodium sulfate 100g
  • Cerium oxide approx 80g
  • Boric acid approx 1kg
  • Lead bromide approx 100g
  • Sodium chloride 200g
  • Aspartic acid
  • Sodium metasilicate ~500g
  • Chromium acetate ~50g
  • Sodium dithionate 700g
  • Potassium ferricyanide ~40g
  • Lead acetate 400g
  • Sodium sulfite 200g

• I really want some bismuth nitrate to get the metal (as a fun project), but I doubt my parents would be to happy with random chemicals in the house, or me using them to make a mystery metal :(
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 21-8-2023 at 16:04

Quote: Originally posted by averageaussie  

I really want some bismuth nitrate to get the metal (as a fun project), but I doubt my parents would be to happy with random chemicals in the house, or me using them to make a mystery metal :(

Why don't you try explaining to them what you are proposing to do. Make sure you show them you know what you are doing and that you can do it safely. Make it clear that they are not random chemicals, but chemical that you know about, know how to use responsible and know how to store safely. You might be surprised, I would be very supportive if my children approached me with this project.
    averageaussie
    Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-8-2023 at 16:54

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  

Why don't you try explaining to them what you are proposing to do. Make sure you show them you know what you are doing and that you can do it safely. Make it clear that they are not random chemicals, but chemical that you know about, know how to use responsible and know how to store safely. You might be surprised, I would be very supportive if my children approached me with this project.

The main issue is it's a nitrate - both my parents know that they can be used to fuel a fire or make explosives, and I have a reputation for being a bit of a firebug. I much as I want to try, I already know the answer will be no.

I don't even own any real chemistry equipment, not that any is needed. dissolving the nitrate in some water and adding foil should be enough to reduce the bismuth to a metal, and this can be done in a glass container.

there isn't much in the name of data when it comes to bismuth(III) nitrate, the only real dangers for it are general dangers (irritant like every other chemical in existence, heavy metal because bismuth, fire because nitrate)
    If my parents see either the fire or poison hazard, it's an immediate no most likely

either way, probably better off just letting someone with more experience (and any safety equipment) have it.
    B(a)P
    International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 21-8-2023 at 18:38

The main issue is it's a nitrate - both my parents know that they can be used to fuel a fire or make explosives, and I have a reputation for being a bit of a firebug. I much as I want to try, I already know the answer will be no.

I don't even own any real chemistry equipment, not that any is needed. dissolving the nitrate in some water and adding foil should be enough to reduce the bismuth to a metal, and this can be done in a glass container.

there isn't much in the name of data when it comes to bismuth(III) nitrate, the only real dangers for it are general dangers (irritant like every other chemical in existence, heavy metal because bismuth, fire because nitrate)
    If my parents see either the fire or poison hazard, it's an immediate no most likely

either way, probably better off just letting someone with more experience (and any safety equipment) have it.

Another option might be to try it at school, you could suggest it for an experiment, assuming you currently take science of some form.
    averageaussie
    Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-8-2023 at 19:23

Another option might be to try it at school, you could suggest it for an experiment, assuming you currently take science of some form.

Considering that we're doing bio at the moment, not a chance.

again, still better off someone with any amount of experience have any of these chemicals, not a dumbass like me.
    j_sum1
    Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-8-2023 at 20:48

Well, I would love to see the Bi(NO3)3 go to a good home.
    I appreciate your parents' position. It would be good if there was some kind of compromise that they would agree to.

One option might be to show them this thread and then I send you 5g as a proof of concept. You can demonstrate what you intend to do.

Another option may be for me to convert it to another salt. (Although I confess that now that I have a good store of HNO3, I have little appetite for making it. And any other conversion seems frankly like a waste.)

Maybe I can interest you in something else on the list. (KMNO4 might raise similar objections, but then again, maybe not.)

[Edit]
    You could tell them that boric acid kills roaches...

[Edited on 22-8-2023 by j_sum1]
    averageaussie
    Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-8-2023 at 23:27

Well, I would love to see the Bi(NO3)3 go to a good home.
    I appreciate your parents' position. It would be good if there was some kind of compromise that they would agree to.

One option might be to show them this thread and then I send you 5g as a proof of concept. You can demonstrate what you intend to do.

Another option may be for me to convert it to another salt. (Although I confess that now that I have a good store of HNO3, I have little appetite for making it. And any other conversion seems frankly like a waste.)

Maybe I can interest you in something else on the list. (KMNO4 might raise similar objections, but then again, maybe not.)

[Edit]
    You could tell them that boric acid kills roaches...

[Edited on 22-8-2023 by j_sum1]

While I do appreciate the offer, I don't actually own any chemistry equipment, and it is better if the chemicals go to someone who actually has any level of experience (the most dangerous thing I've ever done in regards to chemistry is equivalent to boiling water in a kettle, but because it had an open flame from a bunsen burner = dangerous and we need fire extinguishers and safety glasses for FUCKING WATER, for some stupid reason. i've also done a little bit of redox chemistry, but literally me and a teacher who has since left school know, not even the head of chemistry.) that is to say I have very little experience with chemistry.

for context on how strict our school is with chemistry, gallium is seniors only(usually 17-18 years old). and I'm not even meant to know that they have restrictions for what chemicals certain students can use, since the chemical storeroom is strictly teachers only.
    On Top of that, they have a jar of manganese sulfate from the 1950's (seriously), and it has been opened like twice, once to test the purity and another time to show me what it looks like, only at special request. so yeah, no chemistry at our school. only boiling water and dilute acid.

If I can get into chemistry more later on in life, I will. but at the moment no safety equipment or equipment in general = no.

I guess I'm just worried that I will lose my passion for chemistry because of how restricted it is. this forum is honestly the only thing that is keeping me going, and I really dont want to lose it.

so nah, dont worry.

[Edit]
    sorry for the mega long post, just wanted to vent. I understand if you want it deleted.

[Edited on 22-8-2023 by averageaussie]
    averageaussie
    Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-8-2023 at 15:36

just did some digging and found out bismuth nitrate is quickly hydrolysed to form an insoluble salt, so unless anyone has any ideas, there goes that idea I guess.

Sorry for the repetitive posting, will understand if mods want my posts gone. I know how much you dislike spammers.

[Edited on 24-8-2023 by averageaussie]
    j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 23-8-2023 at 19:24

Nah. Not spamming or trolling. Just learning -- and dealing with certain constraints.,

Bismuth is a bit of fun. I do wish I could accommodate you somehow.
    But that is not the only thing on the list that you could have fun with.
    I am more than happy to send you something. Why don't you figure out what will work best, have a chat with your folks, and send me a U2U.
    averageaussie
    Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-8-2023 at 02:04

Nah. Not spamming or trolling. Just learning -- and dealing with certain constraints.,

Bismuth is a bit of fun. I do wish I could accommodate you somehow.
    But that is not the only thing on the list that you could have fun with.
    I am more than happy to send you something. Why don't you figure out what will work best, have a chat with your folks, and send me a U2U.

don't worry about accommodating me, not worth your effort. it's better that the chemicals go to someone with experience anyways. thanks for everything.
    j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 31-8-2023 at 17:21

Still stuff left.
    I am keen to box it up and post it off.
    There are a couple of bonus bits of glassware to throw in there too.

Anyone want to stock up their lab with a few random things?
    j_sum1
    Administrator

[*] posted on 24-9-2023 at 22:59

Everything allocated. One delivery and one trip to the post office to go.

A big thanks to Lion850 for making all of this available. I think everything now has a good home. :)

Thread is now closed and un-stickied.
    j_sum1
    Administrator
    Thread Untopped
    24-9-2023 at 22:59
    j_sum1
    Administrator
    Thread Closed
    24-9-2023 at 23:00
     Pages:  1  2

Go To Top