Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  76    78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
Nemo_Tenetur
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2024 at 06:57

Anyone here with carbodihydrazide synthesis experience? I require a larger quantity as precursor for different energetic materials and I don´t want to buy it because I´m a cheapskate. Fisher scientific sell it for 450 Euro per 500 gram, that´s a ripp off.

There are different routes, phosgene as precursor is out of question. Cyanuric acid and Propylene carbonate are mentioned in patents as better yielding and purer product than urea, but the latter is unbeatable cheap (about 100 euro / 50 euro per kilo versus less than 2 euro per kilo for fertilizer grade).

The yield ist not decisive for me, but the purity (or more precise, the ease of purification) of the final product. The available information is pretty sparse about purity and purification with respect to the different routes. So input and comments about the different routes are welcome. I have enough glassware, fume hood, two stage vacuum pump etc. and 80% hydrazine hydrate in stock.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2024 at 07:25

The propylene carbonate route may yield propyl carbazate impurities, so an excess of N2H4 and long rxn time would be required. But I’d say that’d be easiest method. Dry Hydrazine Sulfate & NaOH can be refluxed in n-propanol or isopropanol to extract the Hydrazine, then that propanol solution can be decanted and refluxed with propylene carbonate while distilling off the excess solvent. I haven’t heard of the cyanuric acid route though.

I also know a Russian supplier who has carbohydrazide for 2400₽/kg, but I don’t know how sanctions are where you live, and their payment provider isn’t very secure. I’ve had to cancel a debit card due to fraud payments after a purchase from them in the past, even though my order arrived fine to me in the US - it was Red P that cleared customs too :D . I’ll send the info via U2U if you’re interested.
Nemo_Tenetur
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2024 at 09:22

Thank you for fast reply and information. There are plenty sanctions here in the EU and try to import something from Russia at present time is like asking for trouble, at least will raise a big red flag.

Additionaly, there are so much overhead costs and paperwork associated with such a transaction that I´ll avoid it whenever possible. About 20 years ago I´ve bought an exotic amine from TCI in Japan. I´ve paid additional 550 Euro for air freight, tax, hazmat fee, ATLAS fee etc.
underground
National Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-4-2024 at 13:13

Quote: Originally posted by Nemo_Tenetur  
Anyone here with carbodihydrazide synthesis experience? I require a larger quantity as precursor for different energetic materials and I don´t want to buy it because I´m a cheapskate.

What do you have into your mind. You can buy it from ali for a relative good price
Nemo_Tenetur
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-4-2024 at 14:05

I have no experience with ali (baba or express?) and I´m not sure if such a parcel with white powder (hazmat) will raise a red flag at the EU border. Do they ship in compliance with dangerous goods regulations?
Trashcanman
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-4-2024 at 15:09

Quote: Originally posted by Nemo_Tenetur  
I have no experience with ali (baba or express?) and I´m not sure if such a parcel with white powder (hazmat) will raise a red flag at the EU border. Do they ship in compliance with dangerous goods regulations?

A few years ago I bought 3 americium ionization chambers from aliexpress.
Those things have radiation warnings on them and I think those packages were opened after crossing the EU border because the packages looked as if someone cut them open and sealed them again. I don't know what will happen if some overmotivated customs officer opens a parcel with white powder that was sent from china xD.

But that's just my two cents :)

Yorty2040
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 17:47

What adhesives resist 95% NM/5% Ethylenediamine PLX?
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 20:14

What do you mean by adhesives? Are you trying to gelatinize PLX with a polymer? If so, that might cause some issues since NM could simply dissolve a wide range of polymers and ethylenediamine is a fairly aggressive base that could attack esters & olefins.
Yorty2040
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 21:16

I might need to glue the blasting cap in place, and need a glue that can withstand contact with PLX. If there is no such glue, I'll need to get creative with solder, which will present its own issues.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2024 at 11:25

Sorry, I don’t think there’d be a clear answer to that query.

You’ll probably just need to test on a small scale to figure out the best glue or somehow mount a fitting with plastic screws to hold a detonator in place.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2024 at 11:28

This inert version of a binary mix (https://inertproducts.com/product/texpak-binary-explosive-se...) uses a custom molded case to partially surround the detonator.

So you might be able to just tape your cap directly to the bottle of PLX and achieve full detonation.
 Pages:  1  ..  76    78

Go To Top