Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ammonium Nitrate from Calcium Ammonium Nitrate
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2024 at 09:35

Quote: Originally posted by fx-991ex  
Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  

Thanks. Like I said, at this point I am done with cold pack crap. I got me a bag of very pure calcium nitrate. I was expecting it to have anti-caking agents... but no. When I dissolved it in an excess of water, it was so clear you'd think there was nothing dissolved in it. I used 2.5 liters to dissolve 1.5kg of calcium nitrate, BTW.

I probably will need another bag, and it will be another pure calcium bag. Given the expense of ammonium carbonate, I am seriously just contemplating getting the ammonium sulfate and using your method, if the end result is pure, or almost completely pure, ammonium nitrate (with negligible ammonium sulfate contamination if I used an excess) then I will be satisfied.

CAN fertilizer is very pure sometime, i got the MegaCrop 2 part B from amazon, its very pure, barely any dirt to filter, work with stochiometric quantities.

I'll take your word for it with ammonium sulfate. For me I'm still using ammonium carbonate. Maybe it was due to the heat of the reaction (I was using hot water) but using stochiometric quantities had a terrible yield. Using an excess (a large excess) yielded much better results. As well as doing everything very cold, as ammonium carbonate decomposes at even moderate temperatures.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 20-1-2024 at 21:12
Ammonium Carbonate

This compound decomposes at 58 C. That's part of the reason it's sometimes used in
baking when a good quality yeast can't be located.

(NH4)2CO3 ----> 2NH3 + CO2 + H2O

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top