Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mg on Sparklers
hornyscientist
Harmless

Mood: *EVIL LAUGH*

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 08:11
Mg on Sparklers

I've recently chipped the Mg of a pack of sparklers and crushed it up into a fine powder. After i'd done this, i mixed it with KClO3+Sugar mix. I lit the mixture however it was very slow burning and nothing like what i'd expected from flashpowder. At first i though it was due to the Mg off the sparklers and this is still my theory now, however i was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas as to why the reaction is so 'boring' and what i could do to improve it or any suggestions as to how i could 'refine' my Mg powder.
Thanks
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 09:07

Sparklers are typically Fe based, not Mg. Iron has yellower, more interesting (forked) and safer (cooler, less reactive) sparks than Mg or Al. Further, it is relatively coarse and not likely to explode in any preparation. Third, sparklers are a composition, not powdered metal! I don't know why you would expect to "chip Mg of [sic] a pack of sparklers" in the first place. And finally, KClO3 tends not to explode with metals -- I don't know why. I've never had KClO3 burn with the finest magnalium I have prepared (probably circa 200 mesh).

Besides that, the sparklers may contain sulfur (I don't know...all the more reason) which is a BIG naughty no-no around any chlorate.

Tim

[Edited on 11-7-2006 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 7-11-2006 at 11:31
Magnesium

Under U.S. Federal law, magnesium isn't allowed in consumer fireworks.
Magnalium is permitted however. As for flash using chlorates, get the mesh
size up to 600+ and you'll notice a difference in how it performs.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
hornyscientist
Harmless

Mood: *EVIL LAUGH*

[*] posted on 9-11-2006 at 09:31

thnx very much, im not like a scientist or anything, so i'm sorry if i get things wrong:( its just i like to play around with things like this.

And thanks very much for the info.

Go To Top