Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ruby red manganese sulphate ???
Toady
Harmless

Mood: PISSED

[*] posted on 17-11-2016 at 06:08

Just thought I would point out, that in sufficient concentrations, when hot, concentrated phosphoric acid (>80-85% if memory serves, for this is from reading, I've never of course attempted to damage my own glassware with it) will etch and corrode glass.

Hyperbolic, hypergolic, viral and chiral,
My laevo is on the right side.
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-11-2016 at 09:16

Here is a pic of the ruby red Mn solution made from the calcined battery gunk and 32% sulphuric acid as per my last post. The colour is so intense it looks black except when viewed with a bright light behind the 10mm test tube as seen in the pic.

The intensity does not appear to be decreasing. Its now 7 days old, if this is Mn(III) it does not appear to be decomposing or disproportioning anymore than the original solution has.
mn37.jpg - 13kB
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2018 at 04:25

I had also tried made some red Mn soln ~2yrs ago. I used alkaline batteries as the MnxOy in Zn/C ones are impure and contained probably some Fe. I first reacted the MnxOy in oxalic acid. the oxalic soln turned red gradually and this had surprised me since I expected the soln should had either turned pink or a white to pink MnC2O4 to ppt out. Therefore I suspect Mn3+ had formed since it's purple red in soln. I then added H2SO4 to the soln and filtered to remove any insolble stuff but the red didnt fade. At that time, I wasnt very concious about stoichiometry so I used way more excess of H2SO4 (I forgot how much oxalic I used). The soln stayed red for a few weeks and I wasnt sure why. I finally destroyed the red soln by turning it pink. However since it was done a long time ago, I forgot what reagent I used to destroy the redsoln. But I still kept the Mn2+ soln so I can use in the future.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top