Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need help preparing alumminum amalgam
LD5050
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 14:31
Need help preparing alumminum amalgam

I want to perform a reductive amination and it is the first time ever doing so. I Need help identifying when the aluminum is properly amalgamated.

Instead of using mercuric chloride I want to use mercury nitrate. I attempted to make mercuric chloride but it didn't turn out correctly and I ended up with a brown powder. Although when I add this brown powder to aluminum and MeOH and wait a few min I do get bubbling in the mixture. When I dumped the mixture out and filtered it I noticed a little blob of mercury metal.

Anyway like I said I would like to use mercury nitrate by dissolving a small bead of mercury in a few ml of 68% nitric acid and adding it straight to the aluminum. I looked up a procedure on here ill have to find the link and post it after I write this. They claim it is more effective then using mercuric chloride.

Is it super critical to find the correct window to stop the amalgamation and wash the foil to add the reagents or is it more just add the mercury nitrate watch for bubbling wash then add reagents?
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 16:56

Like it has been said to you on the other site, you have to watch not only for bubbling, but for the right form of bubbling, the larger bubbles at a later stage not the tiny early reaction bubbles.
LD5050
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 18:43

Thanks for the reply Karlos, The problem is last time I did the reaction I added the mercury nitrate and I timed it. At about 10 min or so I started getting bubbles but then they died out and didn't get bigger or smaller the reaction died after about 2 min of very slight bubbling.
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2017 at 11:03

Quote: Originally posted by karlosĀ³  
Like it has been said to you on the other site, you have to watch not only for bubbling, but for the right form of bubbling, the larger bubbles at a later stage not the tiny early reaction bubbles.

Other site?

Go To Top