Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baking Powder
FranklinNewhart
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 15:34
Baking Powder

I am researching Crystal Cells right now. I know that you can make Rochelle Salt using Crème of Tartar (Tartaric Acid) and Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate). Heat Baking Soda and drive off the CO2 and it reduces the Sodium Bi-Carbonate to Sodium Carbonate. Dissolve the Tartaric acid in water and add the Sodium Carbonate until all foaming stops then let the crystals grow in a cool place. All pretty straight forward.

So here enters some mad :mad: science. Baking Powder is made up of Sodium Bi-Carbonate and Tartaric Acid just the same as Rochelle salt but it is just mixed together dry and blended in a homogeneous powder. The reaction comes when it goes in the cooking.

BUT:

Take a bit of hot water and add just Baking Powder to the water and you get an entirely different reaction. 3 ounces of water and three table spoons of Baking Powder and you get a lot of foaming but what you end up with is a Gel.

What is going on here?

Next I considered that perhaps it still had Electrolytic Properties. Put the stuff in a Pop Can and inserted a piece of Copper pipe with the bottom insulated. Put the Multi-meter on it and Zero Potential.

Next I took and added Epson Salts to the mix to try to find out if dissimilar salts would encourage a potential. Still Zero.

Any Ideas?

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 15:51

Gelling can be caused by corn starch, which is often an ingredient in baking powder. Are you sure your baking powder consists of sodium bicarbonate and tartaric acid?

Go To Top