Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Static Light Scattering and water
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 22-4-2017 at 07:11
Static Light Scattering and water

Greetings,

So I will have to do an experiment on static light scattering next week where we are going to determine some particle factors of a polymer suspension in water. The briefing before will not only include questions on the mechanism and the tasks but also on what we are going to expect.

Now for the particles it isn't hard to predict, as we require at least one peak somewhere of course at some angle 2Θ. But I am not sure what will happen with the water itself.

Those terms of scatterings are a bit confusing. I know scattering back from Absorption/Emission of light. For scattering in a spectroscopic way like Raman-scattering inducing a dipole is necessary if none is present. This changes the polarizability and the whole system starts to behave like an antenna or Hertz-Dipole osicillating with a certain frequency. While for Absorption/Emission the transitiondipolemoment has to change for scattering the polarizability will have to change.

And we know that water is at least Raman acitive so light should also scatter elastically and inelastically.

But none of that is mentioned in the script. They refer to the scattering as an inhomogenity of the refractive index and yes you can define it as that I found a long calculation which came to that result but it sort of confuses me whether I can use this more spectroscopical view of scattering in this case here.

Because then I would assume, as red light is scattered least by water and we are using a He-Ne laser at a certain small angle I will see a peak somewhere.

Go To Top