Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitronium ion, Dinitrogen Pentoxide
Swany
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 12:38
Nitronium ion, Dinitrogen Pentoxide

Well, this could perhaps be in several different sections. General Chem seems appropriate. I'll let the mods decide that.

Since mixed acid nitrating agents (HNO3/H2SO4) are falling out of favor with industry due to the lack of selectivity, incompatibility with N-nitro compounds, contamination of products, and general disposial issues, nitrating agents based on N2O5/HNO3 and N2O5/chlorinated organic solvent are becoming more and more popular. They nitrate very quickly, waste products are more manageble, there is no incompatibility with strained cyclic N-nitro compounds, and in theory one can create the former with air, water and electricity.

Now skipping around to N2O5. Dinitrogen pentoxide is solid at RT, but sublimes at 32.4 degrees C. It is molecular in its gaseous and liquid forms, and below -70 degrees C it is also in a metastable molecular form, with both N atoms being in the +5 oxidation state. Above that temp, it converts exothermically to the ionic form of NO2NO3; nitronium nitrate. In chlorinated organic solvents, it is in a molecular form, though dissolved in HNO3 I belive it forms ions. At room temp it has a half-life of about 9 hours, 0 degrees C is about 2 weeks, and -60 is about a year.

Can anyone think of any research projects I could do regarding the nitronium ion or dinitrogen pentoxide? I was thinking about somehow comparing the stability of the molecular and ionic forms, or somehow making it more stable... but quite frankly anything would be interesting. I will edit this post later with some references and more information, but I have to be going now.

Thanks for your time.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 18:21

I suggest you have a look at the research at Thomas Klapoetcke (spelling might be wrong) who works at the TU Munich. This group works on EM research, and they synthesised a variety of energetic compounds that are quite exotic, to say the least. I am sure I seem to remember unusual synthesis techniques using N2O5 or other derivatives. Searching PEP would be useful for starters.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 29-1-2007 at 21:45

You could do the project on high oxidation state oxides, like N2O5, I2O5, Mn2O7, they all can be considered ionic. I2O5 even behaves kinda like N2O5, it substitutes benzene rings in a similar way. But that is getting away from your origional idea.

JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2007 at 00:12

The mechanism of nitration of organic compounds involves electrophilic attack by the nitronium, NO2+, cation, which can exist only in concentrated solutions containing pentavalent N (e.g. HNO3) plus a mineral acid stronger than HNO3. As well as solid N2O5 being nitronium nitrate, it exists as, and can be isolated as, (NO2)2SO4, NO2ClO4, NO2BrO4, NO2PF6, NO2AsF6, NO2SbF6, which can also be used for nitration in suitable solvents.
maxidastier
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 10:50

As this was the only existing thread regarding N2O5, I will post my request here:

I'm looking for the Full text PDF of "Plasma-assisted synthesis of N2O5 from NO2 in air at atmospheric pressure"
from http://iopscience.iop.org/0022-3727/32/10/310

[Edited on 1-4-2011 by maxidastier]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2011 at 07:26

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  
You could do the project on high oxidation state oxides, like N2O5, I2O5, Mn2O7, they all can be considered ionic [...]

Mn2O7 is definitely NOT considered ionic. An oily, liquid substance at RT, structurally this is confirmed more covalent than ionic. Or so says Wiki...
physics inclination
Harmless

Mood: thermodynamically stable

[*] posted on 4-8-2017 at 10:30

Quote: Originally posted by maxidastier  
As this was the only existing thread regarding N2O5, I will post my request here:

I'm looking for the Full text PDF of "Plasma-assisted synthesis of N2O5 from NO2 in air at atmospheric pressure"
from http://iopscience.iop.org/0022-3727/32/10/310

[Edited on 1-4-2011 by maxidastier]

here's the link to the sci-hub copy of the article, if anyone's still interested in N2O5 (sorry I keep reviving years-old threads lol)
https://sci-hub.ac/10.1088/0022-3727/32/10/310

Go To Top