Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NaBH4 - gum like mass ?
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 16-8-2017 at 03:32
NaBH4 - gum like mass ?

Hi,

So I had a small bottle of NaBH4 for quite a while and it originally came to me as bigger flakes, not a powder but bigger parts which could be easily pulverized. The overall powder from this was dry. Then, since those junks where often too big I used a mortar and pulverized all of it and kept it in an airtight container. Some time after this the whole thing had become solid. Like when you have gypsum or similar stuff that becomes solid after a while. This block was stuck in the bottle and extremely hard to get out. I had to use a screwdriver to drill holes in the solid and get the powder from these holes. This lasted to a year now but now suddenly from one week to the other the bottle is filled with NaBH4 and it even reached to the lid of the bottle. It looks like Polyurethane-sponges, as if the whole thing had started to turn into a sponge with big holes in it but still a solid piece. I could easily tear some off and it feels really sticky and much like gum. You can form a ball from it, you can pull it to long strings if you like to. The consistency just changed into something I have never seen before. When I dropped it into water it was still quite active. It took longer to dissolve than usually but it would fully react and it would turn the water brown-grey. The original sample did not do that when dissolved in water.

Does anyone have an idea what might have happened. The containers should be tightly sealed and I cannot imagine how humidity could have entered this solid block because the sponge goes all the way down as if the whole thing had changed its modification somehow.

Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 16-8-2017 at 05:51

I also have a quite old but unused 100g bottle of NaBH from Merck. Maybe from the mid-2000's or so.

It is in small grains. They kind of stick together after a while but losen immediately after shaking.
It's in brown glas with typical Merck-stopper. Recently I added teflon tape around the stopper.

From your description your NaBH is not potent anymore, likely even useless.

Did you use a plastic container?
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 16-8-2017 at 10:15

Nope, Glass bottle with airtight lid, other hygroscopic compounds are unaffected in these containers...

Sidmadra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2017 at 13:41

Your Borohydride should be fine. I had about about a pound of it that essentially went through the same process as yours did, stored in a plastic container. It went from a powder into a very hard solid mass in the container and was extremely labor intensive to get out. It required lots of banging and chipping with a screw driver until I could get it out. I'm assuming it has something to do with moisture getting in, but I'm just speculating.

My borohydride sat in the container like that for almost 2 years and was still very active. How I tested the activity of mine was by creating an aqueous solution of a lewis acid metal salt that borohydride was capable of reducing. Upon addition of the borohydride, the reduced metal precipitated immediately. In this test I didn't account for reaction of the borohydride with water, but pretty much all of my lewis acid salt was reducted instantaneously, far faster than the borohydride reacted with the water. How much activity was lost can really only be determined through quantitative analysis of some sort, aka, calculate moles of hydrogen, use the borohydride, and go from there.

The great thing about borohydride is that it is really cheap, and you get 4 moles of hydrogen per 37.83 grams, so about 9g per mole of hydrogen. Because of this, you should still be able to get plenty of activity remaining out of your borohydride, on a per weight basis. A little excess goes a long way.
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2017 at 20:08

Quote: Originally posted by Sidmadra  

The great thing about borohydride is that it is really cheap,

Where are you finding cheap borohydride?

Go To Top