Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Caustic calcined magnesia?
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 13:01
Caustic calcined magnesia?

So it's pretty easy to find suppliers for this stuff, but unfortunately, most of them won't sell you less than 20 tons at a time. It's the opposite of the scale problem we have with every other reagent.

I wanted to mess around with novel cement formulations, but I'm not looking to make an entire sidewalk or anything. There are some applications of magnesia for animal feed, but I'm not sure if the product would be suitable for cement. Apparently in order to be reactive, magnesia has to be partially hydrated, but not fully hydrated. Some magnesia is sold with a "reactivity" specification and I think I want this to be high.

Ideally I'd like to find someone who sells reactive magnesia in less than 10 kg quantities in a form suitable for making cements. Any ideas?
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 14:28

I have worked at a magnesium plant, and later at the MgO/fused magnesia-plant that remained in operation after the metal production ended. They produced reactive magnesia, I'm trying as hard as I can to remember the loss on ignition value but it's been 15 years. Could it be 35%? Does that make sense? I can't be bothered to do the calculations right now...
Anyways, they only produced this reactive MgO for the metal production (chlorination process with coke and chlorine to produce magnesium chloride), and they also sold this in bulk for other uses. So my guess would be that most MgO on the marked will be of the reactive type, it seems to be suitable for most uses.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
feacetech
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-10-2017 at 12:01

Fertiliser Calcinced Magnasite aka CalMag aka MgO

you can buy tonnes and tonnes of it if you want in my country

Go To Top