Author: Subject: Desensitize ETN?
joseph6355
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nitrated

[*] posted on 25-6-2018 at 09:28

Quote: Originally posted by markx  
Quote: Originally posted by joseph6355  
Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
That sounds promising for the PIB you extracted. For the USA, I'll continue to source mine from tape I found on eBay.

Quote:

Regarding methylricinoleate, can I use Ethanol instead of Methanol?

Do you mean will ethylricinoleate work as a plasticizer? I don't know.
Or, Will ethanol produce methylricinoleate? No, it is a different functional you are estering with.

How didn't I think about it? LOL.
I'll make sure to use Methanol instead. Thanks.

Actually regular motor oil also works very good as a plasticizer in combination with the high molecular weight PIB from tape. Just in case you are not inclined to synthesize the ricinoleate esters, but it is an educational excercise on it's own to go through with it.
Use a 50/50 mix by weight of PIB/oil as a solution of known concentration and add in about 10% content to the material that you want to bind.

What motor oil should I use? The thickest one that I can find?
Will the plasticizer help with the brittleness and porousness that is present in the mass?
And is there a significant difference between the motor oil and the ricinoleate? I already bought the castor oil just for this purpose, but I don't feel like buying the methanol too if the result will be the same no matter which one I choose as a plasticizer.
Just out of curiosity, castor oil alone wouldn't be useful as plasticizer, right?

Oh, hello! :)

roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 27-6-2018 at 17:56

Not to sound too much like aga but this sounds like a chance for you to perform a rather simple experiment and learn the effects with your own hands for the many options.
DrManhattan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2018 at 19:55

I have found Nitrocellulose to be a great way to desensitize ETN. Mix the NC in acetone to produce a homogeneous mixture then add the ETN. Stir and mix the solution and then pour into a cast and let the acetone evaporate. Since acetone dissolves both of the materials it is a very easy way to get a uniform mixture of energetic and binder. I use a 85/15 ratio of ETN/NC.
joseph6355
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nitrated

[*] posted on 29-6-2018 at 23:05

Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
Not to sound too much like aga but this sounds like a chance for you to perform a rather simple experiment and learn the effects with your own hands for the many options.

That is true.
Ethylricinoleate is biodiesel, isn't it? I don't think it'd make a good plasticizer.
I think that I'll conduct an experiment with both methylricinoleate and a synthetic motor oil.
Which one do you think will perform the best? :)
My plasticized flour was soft enough, I don't need to soften it, my problem is that it is kind of porous, it doesn't stay as a solid like bubble gum when I squeeze it with my finger against a hard surface, it "shatters" at the edges, but it still very plastic, moldable and doesn't fall apart at all. When packed tightly it hardens and make a very sharp sound when dropped on a hard metal surface, it gets very dense.

Quote: Originally posted by DrManhattan  
I have found Nitrocellulose to be a great way to desensitize ETN. Mix the NC in acetone to produce a homogeneous mixture then add the ETN. Stir and mix the solution and then pour into a cast and let the acetone evaporate. Since acetone dissolves both of the materials it is a very easy way to get a uniform mixture of energetic and binder. I use a 85/15 ratio of ETN/NC.

Ok, but do you need to cast it later or you just pour it into a mold? What is the consistence of the final product?
Wouldn't different solubility rates change the amount of both substances crystallizing at a certain amount of time? Plus, the two have significantly different densities that could lead the denser to settle at the bottom.
If the product gains the form of a plastic or at least a moldable mass, then it could be stirred until dryness. This would lead to a more homogeneous mixture.

[Edited on 30/6/18 by joseph6355]

Oh, hello! :)

DrManhattan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 20:34

Consistency is very uniform. I use the minimum amount of acetone possible so as to form a very thick syrup like liquid so nothing can settle to the bottom. Mix thoroughly before pouring. The density is quite low so i find the best solution is to pour it over a large surface area creating a sheet that evaporates very fast. Break up the dried sheet into flakes and compact them into a charge when ready.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top