Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finally
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2017 at 12:07
Finally

I finally scored an analytical balance on ebay!! Not super cheap, but the guy who had it worked for sartorius, he has calibrated it for me (with a cert) and checked it over. Looks utterly brand new, he thinks its likely its just been a back up and not seen much if any use.

the model
Sartorius Analytical Balance BL120S

So i am finally one happy bunny, my scales that handle down to 1mg need at least 50mg to register and are not particularly accurate.

Also splurged on a heating mantle and another centrifuge......wont mention the new CO2 incubator :D. Summer savings took a battering
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 08:56

The balance came today! Not what i was expecting for the money, everything in original packing and all the parts for the tray etc were sealed??? So i contact the guy again, and it turns out this has never been used. it was sent out and returned because it didnt have the adapter in the box.

It sat at the depot for 6 months until they decided to get rid, so he got an adapter and stuck it on ebay. I have the cal cert as well. I have always wanted a decent balance, this one goes upto 120g. it can measure down to 0.1mg although i dont need that kind of accuracy. i do have volumetric flasks, so at least now i can trust my solutions a bit more.

until now i have been using cheap Chinese scales, i tested them against the new one :D, actually from 20mg upwards the Chinese scales are not far off (2mg).

So, very happy as it came the same day as my new centrifuge! Just waiting for a few other bits and thats me done for now.......
weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 14:06

Very nice! How much did the balance run you?
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 16:14

Quote: Originally posted by weilawei  
Very nice! How much did the balance run you?
~£200 with postage!

Less than the incubator lol.... I am also waiting for a lab oven, i should avoid ebay for a while!

£200 seems a great price, looking at the included manual its a pretty clever bit of kit. (the balance that is), it has modes for weighing animals (mice i expect as a shetland pony weighs more than 120g).

And various other tricks, but for me its a great way to get into analytical chemistry a bit more.

I got a almost free centrifuge sent with the small one i brought, its not balanced however. I think its fixable though, bloody heavy with the heating and cooling stuff inside it.

The small centrifuge works great and will help alot with the cell stuff i am doing.

Go To Top