Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Birch reduction without ammonia
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2017 at 13:17

The Birch reduction is generally used to reduce aromatic rings. While there is a well-known application of it in reducing an aromatic alcohol, that's a special case.

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 17-12-2017 at 16:27

More PDF gold........

/CJ

[EDIT] - And some...... Extra UL

Attachment: Reduction of C=X to CH2 by Dissolving metals and Related Methods.pdf (362kB)
This file has been downloaded 887 times

[Edited on 18-12-2017 by Corrosive Joeseph]

Attachment: Partial Reduction of Aromatic Rings by Dissolving Metals and by Other Methods.pdf (4MB)
This file has been downloaded 1191 times

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2017 at 13:46

Well cause i am still thinking for some OTC available chemicals to substitute ammonia, what if liquid urea will be used ? (Melting point is 133 to 135 °C). Will Li metal form free electones in liquid urea ?
Wurfgurf
banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 08:26
The urea question

Before I opted on writing this post I checked the date of the last one and couldn't help but be tickled at the fact that on Christmas Day, tree in the room, perhaps kids running around (ok, so maybe he's not Christian and this is a slanted perspective, but the imagery is just classic) present wrappings everywhere with those little bows taped to at least one persons back without their knowledge. Wife asks him, "are you thinking about the gift you wished you had and didn't get?" Hopefully pride or jurisprudence kept the truth from the eyes of the better half. Outside of this, I wish I could tell you with certainty one way or the other. It is a good question. I'm going to put my money on the answer being "no", because I don't get the impression, outside of ammonia content, that urea fits the bill of "amine". Urine is approx 85% urea, if you are dehydrated, and of course there's a range of something like 80-90%, perhaps. 85 seemed like a good "if I'm five percent off I won't get sued for much" presumption. Since I didn't catch the name of the man who posted the reminder and direct connection to those very in depth books, my hats off, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I couldn't sleep last night and just as I went to turn off my device I'd see more irresistible information and I'd read a few more, and repeat the last gesture, and then a few more, and so on ad finitum. The battery finally bellowed to be charged at somewhere around 4am and so I relented. I felt like Johnny 5 in short circuit looking for more input! When I said "reminder" I was, of course, referring to the phenomenal library of priceless knowledge unavailable anywhere else I've ever looked. It's every bit as in depth as any college that has a decent premed program, without having to pay. This is a really really awesome forum. For the many of the members that are more knowledgeable in chemistry, in all facets than I am, I look up to you. Thank you so much for sharing the only currency I believe in anymore.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 09:29

The previous odd, rambling stream of consciousness babble post has caused me to ban Wurfgurf and his other ID (Quessia) registered with an email address of: Wurfgurf@gmail.com

I have no freaking idea what this is about, yet. But after the fairly sane previous 7 posts under this name, it is odd enough to suggest some questions:

Is PhD is off his psych meds again?

Did SOMEONE finally got their Birch reduction down and OD'd in front of their keyboard?

Couldn't I have done something more personally worthwhile with the last 10 minutes of my life?

Quote: Originally posted by Wurfgurf  
Before I opted on writing this post I checked the date of the last one and couldn't help but be tickled at the fact that on Christmas Day, tree in the room, perhaps kids running around (ok, so maybe he's not Christian and this is a slanted perspective, but the imagery is just classic) present wrappings everywhere with those little bows taped to at least one persons back without their knowledge. Wife asks him, "are you thinking about the gift you wished you had and didn't get?" Hopefully pride or jurisprudence kept the truth from the eyes of the better half. Outside of this, I wish I could tell you with certainty one way or the other. It is a good question. I'm going to put my money on the answer being "no", because I don't get the impression, outside of ammonia content, that urea fits the bill of "amine". Urine is approx 85% urea, if you are dehydrated, and of course there's a range of something like 80-90%, perhaps. 85 seemed like a good "if I'm five percent off I won't get sued for much" presumption. Since I didn't catch the name of the man who posted the reminder and direct connection to those very in depth books, my hats off, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I couldn't sleep last night and just as I went to turn off my device I'd see more irresistible information and I'd read a few more, and repeat the last gesture, and then a few more, and so on ad finitum. The battery finally bellowed to be charged at somewhere around 4am and so I relented. I felt like Johnny 5 in short circuit looking for more input! When I said "reminder" I was, of course, referring to the phenomenal library of priceless knowledge unavailable anywhere else I've ever looked. It's every bit as in depth as any college that has a decent premed program, without having to pay. This is a really really awesome forum. For the many of the members that are more knowledgeable in chemistry, in all facets than I am, I look up to you. Thank you so much for sharing the only currency I believe in anymore.

[Edited on 8-2-2018 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top