Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Safety concerns regarding long-term storage and disposal of DCM
Psillyness
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2017 at 19:57
Safety concerns regarding long-term storage and disposal of DCM

I'm interested in determining whether it is a safety concern to dispose of DCM / water mixtures stored in sealed glass containers for a number of years under ambient conditions. Combining all of the waste into one carboy and submitting to haz. waste disposal would be easy to do, but I would not want to do this outside of a fume hood, especially if there is a pressure build-up and ANY potential for phosgene generation as is the case with chloroform.

It is my understanding that decomposition of DCM to phosgene only occurs at extremely high temperatures (combustion), but given storage on the order of years, presence of water, ambient light, and a hot climate, my guess is that significant phosgene generation is unlikely but possible, but I certainly wouldn't want to bet my life on it. I am curious what others in this community think
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
13-12-2017 at 20:31
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 13-12-2017 at 23:24

Most people around here get their DCM by distilling paint stripper. These products are available world wide and contain in the order of 970g/L of DCM (with methanol, dyes and polymer goop as additives). In normal use the DCM simply evaporates away. It is probably not great for the environment but in the quantities that an amateur chemist (or occasional painter) would use, allowing it to evaporate is probably the simplest means of disposal. On the other hand, putting it all in one bottle and having someone else deal with it would be ok too. I would not be deliberately trying to breathe it in but a small whiff as you transfer it into one container will not do you any harm. Remember that its nastier cousin, chloroform, used to be used as an anaesthetic.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 19-12-2017 at 19:24

Everybody usta use DCM all of the time. Using no precautions whatsoever.

Never worried about it.

I've seen people spray whole building exteriors with DCM emulsion, followed by a pressure washing, to strip off all of paint.

Just a whiff of Chloroform, can knock you out.... And, we usta figure a flagrant exposure to Carbon Tetrachloride; like sticking yer hand into a jar of it, for ten minutes or so..... Would cause you to die of liver failure! Methyl Chloride, would figure to be a serious carcinogen.

Soooo........ DCM can't be good for you... We just aren't sure exactly how bad it is yet.

PS. The road to hell, is paved with dead chemists.

Go To Top