Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is the standard test for quantitative analysis of compounds?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 04:25
What is the standard test for quantitative analysis of compounds?

I've watched videos on GCMS, LCMS, HPLC and some new "raman spectroscopy" technology. It seems that all these tests are great at identifying a compound, basically it seems by the molecular weight or by it's UV signature (and whatever the raman spectroscopy uses). The thing is that I haven't seen any of the videos or writeups explain how a sample can be tested for the amount of a compound in a sample.

For example a 500mg APAP pill that is mainly the API but has some binders/fillers. How can it be determined that the pill has the 500mg "as advertised". Is there one specific test that is best for this and have I missed something in these tests that allows them to do quantitative analysis?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 08:21

Nearly all forms of spectroscopy can be used quantitatively. I'm sure you know how UV-Vis spectroscopy can be used to determine the amount of a solute, following Beer's Law, right? You can do similar measurements with everything else, particularly if you've run your sample through a column and separated it from everything else.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 08:47

Yea, he's right.. most of them can be used quantitatively... you can crudely measure peak heights with a ruler against a known marker in the compound... or if you know you have an unknown ration of known things you can compare peak heights. I would assume most modern kit has a way you can integrate under peaks and things and could give you ratios for compositions.

NMR is a powerful technique for quantitative results. For organics I would say NMR is the go to for quantitative analysis of a structure.... again, it depends on exactly what you are trying to measure. In your example I do not know the chemistry so couldn't say... but comparison of the peak heights of what you are looking for against the impurities will give you a ratio... you could then take the total mass and split that according to the ration of the compounds in your mix. Might be hard for an industrial product though.

Raman spec has been about for a while and is Basically IR with opposite selection rules for visibility... so you can do IR spec on things that are usually not IR visible. iirc it is a surface technique that gets seriously enhanced when you set up a resonance with surface plasmons on little silver or precious metal islands of the right sizes. You look for the IR absorbed and re-emitted at 90 degrees to the surface... this (very weak signal) gives the Raman spec.

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 12:12

Go To Top