Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alternative video plattforms for chemistry videos
Diachrynic
Hazard to Others

Mood: zenosyne

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 13:56
Alternative video plattforms for chemistry videos

As many of you know, chemistry on YouTube has been a difficult topic for a while now.
Alternative platforms exist, but everyone uses a different one and never really talks about them, because fighting with YouTube is sometimes better than fighting with poor design of alternative plattforms.

Great channels like Dornier335A (right?) and Explosions&Fire went down.

Can we get some discussion going? What was/is your experience with alternative video plattforms?

Here is a incomplete list:

VidMe (???)
Vimeo (quite a variety of chemistry too hard for YouTube!)
DTube (new and decentralized, cryptocurrency-based, registration takes ages)
Minds (layout in my opinion almost unusable)

What else is out there?

we apologize for the inconvenience
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 14:12

I agree with that many are getting taken down if only there was a safe place for them to store the videos like a youtube or even a filehosting website as downloadable video files

Maybe that's what would help
Youtube might notice if they are going to push people to use other video hosting sites i see there are many filehosting websites but whats needed is a sharable one where anyone can download

[Edited on 14-3-2018 by symboom]

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 10:32

This video by Ian of "Forgotten Weapons" addresses the dumbing down and commerce driven reduction of content to innocuous pablum by the big players such as YouTube, Google and Facebook.

https://youtu.be/vwW7NeBwkfw

I would like to hear opinions on "The Maven" from those of us writing about things Facebook may choose to disallow or putting up videos about which YouTube might get a complaint and suddenly decide to remove.

Quote:

First and foremost, Maven has an independent video streaming and hosting system, which will house a complete archive of my video work, both back to the first video and going forward. This means that the work is not at risk of destruction should YouTube decide to prohibit firearms related material on its system. Maven’s video system has the stability that comes from serving a coalition of many video producers much larger than me, and has the best combination of stability and, accessibility of any video hosting platform outside YouTube. 

http://www.forgottenweapons.com

[Edited on 4-20-2018 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 19:08

Download every video to n spewtube. Back up and stick on various servers and share data through the grapevine of teh internets... people that want to find stuff will find it... at the end of the day no entity can stop ppl posting vids.

Hyperbole be thy name
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 19:10

We're going to load up a backup of videos to BitChute for the time being. Not the perfect platform, but will still enable people who want to access our videos the ability to do so in the event that YT kills our channel (still likely although no new strikes for a few weeks now). Not perfect functionality-wise but an interim measure.

The decentralised crypto-coin based platforms are a gimmick (or even scam) since the hosting is still centralised. It's ultimately the cost of hosting and bandwidth which is the killer for YT. We have to accept that we may see no alternative viable platforms for a while yet.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 20-4-2018 at 19:32

Not that my opinion counts for much at this stage -- my video efforts are still in their infancy.
But I am going to stick with YT for as long as I can. My intention is to explicitly target the local education field and for that it is better to be mainstream. I will just have to play it safe with what I record.

learningChem
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 22:36

https://freenetproject.org/

Or enjoy your developed-world surveillance-police state and blame it on 'cooks'.

Go To Top