Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: manganese sulphate
wyseler
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 15:17
manganese sulphate

reacting manganese dioxide with conc. sulphuric acid forming MnSO4 ? i saw on u tube they use also oxalic acid , but is this realy nessesery ? I need a to find new ways to get the Mn2 into oxidationstate 3+ as a singe electrone oxidizer !Text

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 16:09

+3 is not stable in aqueous solution. MnSO4 has Mn in +2 anyway.

If your start material is MnO2 then you are going to need to reduce the Mn. That is what the oxalic acid is for.
You can of course use other acids -- If you use HCl then you will reduce the Mn to Mn2+ and you will oxidise the chloride to chlorine gas. (Be careful!) Sulfuric acid will produce Mn2+ and some other sulfur-oxy anion.

I recommend watching Nurdrage's videos on this again carefully. All of the detail you need is in there.

DoctorPhilosophy
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 17:20

It doesn't have to be single electron oxidizer if stochiometry is right. Also it could be any reducer for Mn4+, which is your starting material. It is happening in zinc carbon battery. At cathode we get Mn3+ in form of Mn2O3.
wyseler
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 20:17

Ok that is some good info thanks, but another question, when i dissolve some Manganese(II)acetate in 100% acetic acid and pass current through the solution wil the Mn(II)OAc switch into the Mn(III)OAc state?,.thus i mean does the accualy reaction happens at the surface on contact on the anode or yust by the current (electrons?):o passing through the solution ?

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 00:42

@wyseler I think these 2 threads could help you.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=70...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=33...

DoctorPhilosophy
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 07:07

There are many unknown not yet discovered chemicals and processes. So many, that every amateur can make new discovery every day. And not only in chemistry. Just as many non existing wikipedia articles for example.

No, you can't just electrolyze glacial acetic acid, it doesn't conduct electricity. Even if it conducts in presence of dissolved acetate, you would have to use anhydrous acetate, or water will interfere. Even then, many new formed products like Mn, Mn3+, Mn4+...could be insoluble and quickly stall electrolysis. In case of water and even small salt impurities like chloride, all acetate ions would be destroyed. Hell, there is much less information about acetates than about chlorides or oxides. Why not use more common inorganic compounds? Or discover something new yourself? Electrolysis can complicate things.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
7-6-2018 at 10:58

Go To Top