Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Monthly or bi-monthly "exotic" group chemical/reagent purchase - w/re-shipping to members
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2018 at 01:48

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Nervous vibe? Let me put it to you this way: Most people don't even notice that they are being asked for personally identifying information at checkout. The kiosk at Lowes asks you for your email address and your customer account information every time you check out. Unless you pay cash, there is a record of who made the transaction, and that information is retained for a considerable period of time. Any time I've bought sulfuric acid or toluene, I've been asked something like, "Do you have an account?" or, "Are you a rewards card member?" or, "Are you a club member?" These are literally attempts to log your purchase history and associate it with your identity. I have little doubt that suspicious purchases are reviewed.

In my experience, Sherwin Williams requires that you give them your name to purchase anything. I don't have much experience with pool stores, but I find it unlikely that anyone was able to purchase that much hydrochloric acid without signing anything.

That is a good point about the "bonus card" thing. The story about the HCl was a guy was cleaning a local country club's mile long driveway, walk way, pool deck and pool and he took every last gallon we had (stacked on a pallet). He walked up to the outside register and paid cash (he was a mennonite farmer I believe) and I REALLY doubt the 16yr old hassled this 55yr old guy. I know they have discretion as to whether to ask for "formal ID" which this guy might not have even had.

You are right though, they do probe for that stuff. I was thinking you meant "SHOW ID" like buy cigs or beer.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2018 at 02:23

Eh, I'm not really sure what to think about that. I think that if you buy a 55-pound sack of tannic acid and divvy it up 5 ways, there's nothing to worry about.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top