Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Calculating the energy of thermite
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 16:28

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  

Mg/CuO thermite (likely explosive by the way) is perhaps not quite as nuts (or energetic) as experimenting with a thermobaric explosive.

Obivously, my attempt at chemical hyperbole to reinstate sanity (note my last question, 'Are you nuts?') was not totally communicated to all. Perhaps taking a closer look at the set of pictures (all based, I suspect, on less energetic thermites) may help.

[Edited on 13-9-2018 by AJKOER]

Came cross this short video of Al/CuO 'thermite', see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_G0J4YeRA ,

In my opinion, it is hard to see and appreciate this thermite, a somewhat unexpected and ominous explosion (perhaps from the magnesium mixed with black powder used for ignition employing a long fuse). The produced molten copper appears to be scattered in a debris field!

I'm not sure whether this is a demo of an explosive thermite, or an explosive with thermite, or a bit of both.

[Edited on 11-10-2018 by AJKOER]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 19:02

Per Bretherick Vol 1 (free to download online) to quote from page 23:

"A mixture of aluminium powder and hot copper oxide exploded violently during mixing with a steel shovel on an iron plate. The frictional mixing initiated the thermite-like mixture [1]. Such mixtures are now used in electro-explosive devices [2]. "

It appears that says such thermites as Mg/CuO and Al/CuO are better described as explosive per some sources.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top