Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mixing diesel & methanol with oils/fats
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2018 at 08:49
Mixing diesel & methanol with oils/fats

Something odd happened recently when I was messing around with trying to see how some oils (mainly lard and tallow) would mix with diesel and I tried a little methanol. All were heated to about 140F and mixed, I used from 10-30% diesel and 20% methanol. That's not what I'm writing about though.

After I tested everything I threw everything together in a bottle, heated it to mix it up and allowed to settle.

I had about 130-150g of tallow/lard mix and about 25ml of diesel and 3ml methanol in the mix.

At first, when it was only heated to about 100F, I got 3 layers, 2 liquid but different densities and one that was very close to solidifying. So I heated again (microwave) to ~140-160, shook it and allowed to sit for 2+ weeks and it has remained the same since, with about 90% a liquid like vegetable oil and then a thicker layer on the bottom that is like semi-melted coconut oil (cloudy but liquid).

I think if I added a little more diesel it would all mix completely and am going to try it. I thought I would get stratification layers with all of these since that is what I got when I tried the original lard or tallow & diesel mixes. The only difference is that there is a slight bit of methanol in this mix where it wasn't in fat/diesel mix. Could this slight bit of alcohol allow the diesel & oil to remain mixed like this?
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-8-2018 at 10:40

I'm willing to bet that whatever fat you're using will already mix with the diesel, regardless of the methanol. Also, what's the point of this random mixing? Am I missing something here?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2018 at 11:47

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
I'm willing to bet that whatever fat you're using will already mix with the diesel, regardless of the methanol. Also, what's the point of this random mixing? Am I missing something here?

I didn't think the methanol really had anything to do with it, but the odd thing was that I had 6 samples with just diesel and lard or tallow and they all remained liquid for XX time, but eventually separated after about 1 week. I figured this would do the same especially with less % diesel, but the difference is the tallow and lard are mixed instead of being separated & the little methanol. IDK if that is part of it or not.

I was trying to see if there was a way to use some solid oils in a forge w/o having to preheat them and if mixing them with a % of diesel worked, I'd rather do that than have to worry about heating the oil and worrying about it clogging the line if it got too cool. I was also curious about what % mixture would be needed to use an fat/diesel mixture as a replacement or regular veggie oil in a diesel engine, as those often give the most difficulty in use and they often aren't used because of this (and even in biodiesel conversion b/c of higher glycerin production)

Is there any way to speed up the stratification process in something like this? Heat seems to help mix it, and I thought putting it in the fridge would turn it all to a solid, but I'm wondering how to keep it room temp and get the layers to seperate/

Go To Top