Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Water flocculation & sodium aluminate - getting 3 layers after mixing
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2018 at 17:07
Water flocculation & sodium aluminate - getting 3 layers after mixing

I'm having a really odd reaction to the sodium aluminate that was made when I dissolved some hard drive platters in a NaOH solution. I know I had excess NaOH in the solution, how much, I'm not sure, but I would guess I had 20-40% excess (about 1/2 mole) in the solution.

After the solution settled for about 24 hours, I had a 400ml solution that was thick on top 1/3 (and light grey w/ slight maroon color) and a few "spheres" of white on the bottom with the foil - and the middle was kind of cloud.

I added 150ml of hot water, stirred until it was all mixed and poured into a new container. It settled and I have 3 layers, a bottom 15% is a white cloud/thick, middle 50% is clear water/solution and top 35% looks identical to bottom cloud. There are a few drops falling from the top to the bottom, looks like a couple snow balls falling per hour.

I'm wondering how this could have reacted so differently from just adding 150ml of water and changing containers. How do the different layers form?
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 11-9-2018 at 12:04

How long did this last, and if it subsided, was the middle layer still hot/warm?

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A

Go To Top