Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Popular battery breakdown in elemental composition
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2018 at 10:59
Popular battery breakdown in elemental composition

I was doing some research into why some batteries had almost no scrap value (like a couple pennies per lb) and some that scap yards wouldn't take unless you PAID them (and a decent amount like $.15-50 per lb!!) Some places claimed they were fire hazards yet I saw they dumped them in open topped gaylords sitting outside in the rain - so that was a bunch of BS (the reason for not paying, not being a hazard).

So I looked at about 4-5 sources and came up with some averages of what I think are pretty accurate. I also included current scap value of the various metals, if they were seperated into thier individual elements and found that there is a lot of money to be made in some of these batteries!

I'd post them as a spreadsheet but I can't find a way to do that and keep the formatting - just another reason to upgrade forum, so many things like that can't be done.

What I was most curious about is the supposed Cobalt levels in Li-ion batteries which is listed at 18%. I didn't do a lot of diffing in Li-Po (like the batteries used in drones, RC cars, etc) but I think they have a higher copper amount for certain.

Also keep in mind that these percentages are for the BASE metal, not LiCO3 or MnO2, it for Li and Mn. In the Li-ion this is a very conservative estimate as I found numbers as high as 8% but I figured that had to be the carbonate or other salt, though it said it was the "element lithium in base form". Other sources stated 4-5% soomewhat regularly but it didn't mention the specific type of lithium battery (though they were rechargable, not the single use lithium batteries), so I went with 3% as listed in Wiki. If the value is ~6% then the value of Li-ion batteries would increase to about $6.62/lb in base metals.

Weh looking at these prices one must factor in the process of either sorting them into the battery type (if that is necessary - possibly pre-sorted at sale, or maybe all shredded together??) and then the seperation of the elements and treating chemically or by heat to break down salts, oxides, etc - so there is a lot of work that goes into it.

But what I can't see, is a recycling center charging $.50 per lb to take NiMH or NiCd batteries as well as some totally refusing some Lithium or offering $.08-.20 per lb (and that is bulk pricing of something like 1000lbs or more). I think I know why this happens, people end up giving them to the local "green recycler" who then either recycles them their selves or ships to a large processing plant. I called 30+ scrap yards and they all gave the same line - no take - we have fires when we do (from the batteries, not arson). Take them to walmart or home depot... On top of this this "battery collection" spots get big government grants to do this, and maybe some $$ from the original manufacturers or vendors. Its all a racket.

Battery scrap value.jpg - 79kB
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2018 at 12:47

And this is related to amateur experimentalism how?

[Edited on 15-9-2018 by Deathunter88]
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2018 at 00:52

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  

I guess the same as when someone extracts chromates from "silver ware" or other metal extractions. on top of that some of these batteries are impossible to recycle unless you pay for them to take the battery (and pay shipping if not local). My analysis of the content of the batteries and the current scrap price of each element, shows that they have much more value than other items which scrap yards pay for, but they don't get huge gov subsidies if they say there is actually $$ in recycling the batteries.

I'm in the process of seperating/dissolving 6 types of batteries, nicd, nimh and 4 lithium based rechargables and I want to see what my numbers are as per the percentages of elements.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2018 at 05:19

Because amateur chemists are likely to pull the batteries apart for their content- particularly Mn, Li and Co.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2018 at 06:58

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

Because amateur chemists are likely to pull the batteries apart for their content- particularly Mn, Li and Co.
Maybe also Ni & Cd, and to a lesser extent, Zn.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2018 at 07:33

Keep in mind Cadmium does very nasty things to your organs! be care full in handling it in all steps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

It isn't like lead or mercury its results hit hard and fast.
CarlSagans_RayGuns
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-9-2018 at 05:33

I tear apart NIMH and normal alkaline batteries quite often to use for electroplating. Be careful with NIMH the paper inside will ignite once it has been in open air for a few minutes.

Go To Top