Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Chromatotron - radial chromatography.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2013 at 10:48

So that all of the eluent will flow to the drain, and to make it easier to see what's going on.

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 15:10

The reason it is tilted to my understanding is so that solvent pours out of the chromatotron for collection.

When I first saw these I was very impressed. For small scale separations it seems more reasonable then cutting up window panes coating them with silica and sticking them in flower vases.

I considered a DIY build but quickly ran into issues. Finding circular pieces of glass, plastics(and a lot of metals) isn't really as easy as I wished it was. That bevel at the bottom of the inside of the device would be hard to reproduce without proper tools, unless someone has a trick? The motor isn't of great importance at least in my opinion. Speed control could be accomplished with a very simple PWM circuit.

My biggest qualm with the design overall is basically the lag-time from the solvent moving from the top of the chromatogram housing to the bottom spout.

The reason for the great expense to my understanding is probably the materials cost and not so much the assembly. Some of the models use front covers use a huge disc of quartz glass.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 13:30
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top