Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Tri-Nitrocellulose
Skrinkle
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-7-2008 at 11:19

Quote:
Originally posted by rooster
YESSS! Finally I found microcrystalline cellulose at a lab. It is like powder. When you nitrate it for use as a HE, it is hard to compress the nitrated "cotton wool" type. Also it will be easier to handle.

One question...

Why isn't there any nitrating procedures for NC with 99% HNO3 and H2SO4? I heard 70% HNO3 is more oxidizing than 99%, if so, wouldn't there be less oxydated, unwanted byproducts of cellulose when nitrate with higher % acids?

Rooster:
I think that 68-70% nitric acid is easier to come by. It is for me anyway.
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 00:53

It is actually quite easy to make MCC yourself. Boiling cotton wool in ca. 10 % HCl for about 2 hours will produce a nice fine powder with properties that are consistent with MCC. The yield from the process was ca. 80 % when I tried it and the product could be compressed into qan extremely durable pellet at moderate pressures. It was fairly easy to nitrate but had a tendency to clump when added to the mixed acids. When NG was added to the nitrated MCC it formed a granular colloidon over a few hours. This granulate could be pressed whereupon it flowed plastically and formed a single body. Great for propellant grains for rockets (if you can solve the other technical problems of NG/NC based rockets).
specialactivitieSK
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-11-2014 at 05:42

Methods for making spherical particles of cellulose nitrate : http://www.google.com/patents/US2915519

EXAMPLE III 60 grams of cellulose nitrate (13.55% N) were dissolved in 600 ml. ethyl acetate. The lacquer was dispersed in 450 ml. water containing 9.6 grams of a petroleum sulfonate (Petromix #9) as the emulsifying agent under vigorous agitation in a homogenizer. Agitation was continued and the ethyl acetate was removed from the dispersed lacquer particles by distillation at 22-39 C. and a pressure of 6.5 cm. The resulting cellulose nitrate particles were 1-20 micron spheres having a density of 1.56.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top