Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: red P from road flares?
LoKi
Harmless

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 18:32
red P from road flares?

Anyone watch Breaking Bad on AMC? They've been spot on with the chemistry, except they use road flares for phosphorus. to the best of my knowledge, road flares don't have any, http://www.spiegl.org/rocket/flare/flare.html, but I would love to be wrong. Anyone know anything bout this?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 18:41

No red phosphorus in road flares save the strike surface of the cap. I noticed the same thing and grimaced.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 19:35

Yeah I watch breaking bad! Not the best light shown on our hobby but I like it especially when the bathtub full of hydrofluoric acid and the corpse falls through the ceiling.

I would love red P to experiment with but the DEA has obviously cracked down on it.

No red P in the flare itself but I believe there is red p it the striker surface on the cap which unlike match boxes is a large blob as big as the fingernail on your thumb not a thinly coated strip I have some flares in my car I will check them out.

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 21:31

Yes, but road flares are EXPENSIVE and buying them soley for the red phosphorus would be just dumb.

At least matches are cheap.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
LoKi
Harmless

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 17:31

yah, I wanna make some MeI so it would be nice to have a source for red P that doesn't require scraping thousands of matchbooks. oh well...

Go To Top