Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HMX
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 17:52

It was just something read somewhere, it might not be accurate.
Apparently the nitration of equal equivalents of urea and formaldehyde (in its solid form trioxane) formed an explosive, which may or may not be "di-keto-HMX". I cannot find anything about this in a search now. It may have been from a russian explosives site.

I had made a post about this subject in the "simple HMX-synth without Ac2O" thread in this forum,
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4729&a...

Of course, "di-keto-HMX" means 2,6-tetrahydro-4,8-dioxo-1,3,5,7-tetranitro-1,3,5,7-tetrazo-cyclooctane. There are several other possible technical names that could refer to this same compound. Basically, it is just HMX, but with 2 additional oxygen atoms on 2 of the opposite carbon atoms, and thus 4 less hydrogen atoms.

Likely I am not remembering correctly, but I think somewhere on the EW forums it was mentioned that di-keto HMX was 10-20 percent more powerful than HMX, but 40-60 percent more sensitive. (I really do not remember the specifics, I only remember thinking to myself that those extra oxygen atoms were not worth the extra sensitivity)

[Edited on 13-3-2012 by AndersHoveland]
detonator
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 02:00

synthesis of DPT:
Configured with 50 ml of concentrated nitric acid (98%) + 20 ml of concentrated sulfuric acid mixture solution was cooled to 0 ° C, and added slowly with stirring 25 g of sulfamic acid, and to keep the temperature below 5 ° C. Added portionwise methenamine dinitrate 27g after 20min was added under stirring during the temperature not higher than 15 ° C, maintained at 5-10 ° C for 40 min, after which the reaction mixture was slowly heated to 30 ° C. The heating was stopped after the temperature will continue to rise slowly.When the temperature reached 40 ° C, the water bath was cooled to 35 ℃, this process is repeated several times, the temperature no longer rises after the 30 ° C incubation 1h, during the reaction solution becomes viscous, after sufficiently cooled to 0 to 5 ° C, poured into 250mla pre-frozen 10% aqueous ammonium nitrate solution, and then slowly added NaHCO3 was adjusted to pH 6, and filtered to give the product DPT, water washed. The yield is said to more than 90%.

一个方法

[Edited on 1-9-2012 by detonator]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top