Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cork withstanding hot HCl & ammonia gas
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2018 at 00:39
Cork withstanding hot HCl & ammonia gas

I have some flasks and condensers that aren't ground glass and I'm planning on using some 1/2" OD glass tubing to connect them and have some stopper/bung to plug the flask and condenser. I'm wondering if cork will stand up to distilling HCl (both boiling lHCl/H2O and boiling ~20-34% HCl - so the anhydrous gas). For the gas I'll bubble it into a 20% solution of HCl.

I'm doing the same with ammonia as well and I think cork should be fine as well as rubber.

I'm looking at getting some PTFE rod (12" long 25 or 30mm diameter) and turning stoppers down on a lathe, but I won't have that for a month or so, I can get cork/rubber tomorrow.

Will the cork last a little while with HCl?
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 6-11-2018 at 03:11

i never trusted Corks so i always use rubber bungs, the few times i used them to just boil water in a test tube they started to crumble at the bottom, so never used them again, but maybe mine were shitty quality. try a small scale experiment, and see if cork will withstand HCl or NH3 for the amount of time you are going to use them

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-11-2018 at 13:00

You could probably increase the resistance of the cork to HCl by soaking it in vaseline or mineral oil, then wrapping it in teflon tape. The ammonia shouldn't be a problem with cork or rubber.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 13:34

I make silicone stoppers myself. I make the mold with crayola clay. It looks like they can't resists chlorine. Some kind of oily goo forms. They will handle hydrochloric acid.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 19-11-2018 at 06:52

Most ordinary silicones nowadays are extremely diluted and do not withstand the effects of chlorine environment. In the good old days there were some brands that could resist chlorine, but that was like 15 years ago. I remember that a certain brand of automotive red gasket silicone was such, but that too became diluted and started to leach the dilutants....a gooey mess resulted.

When using machined PTFE stoppers be aware that the material has a strong tendency to creep and become really stuck in the conical flasks. It can be impossible to remove after even a short while (a few weeks). If it is seated perfectly then anything short of smashing the lot with a hammer is not going to work to remove the stopper. Having a layer of PTFE tape between the machined part and flask alleviates the problem somewhat.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 19-11-2018 at 17:02

One should already have water glass and read the old lab manuals, because it's useful...corks might be the very first thing under the heading Practical Hints. A solution of the OTC metasilicate may be acceptable here (but my silica gels say it's not identical).

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2018 at 17:08

I've used water glass-soaked corks with HCl before. It's not an incredibly satisfactory solution, but the corks did not degrade.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2018 at 22:30

Awesome! Thanks for the hints on the silicate and the warning on the teflon!

Go To Top