Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sourcing Ethyl Acetate?
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 24-5-2021 at 09:30

Yes, thats good if you have just a little bit EtOAc as denaturant, as you can easily turn the denaturant into more ethanol.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 25-5-2021 at 05:50

Actually weirdly enough that formulation has changed, it used to be 30-40% ethyl acetate, and now it's about 1.5% with 5% methanol added. Unless I was thinking of a different product. I used to work at a Lowe's so I was reading those MSDSs all day.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2021 at 08:32

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Actually weirdly enough that formulation has changed, it used to be 30-40% ethyl acetate, and now it's about 1.5% with 5% methanol added. Unless I was thinking of a different product. I used to work at a Lowe's so I was reading those MSDSs all day.

Hmm, looking over the Klean Strip Green Denatured Alcohol MSDS, I can see what you mean. In the Ethanol and the Hydrolysis of Ethyl Acetate video on Dougs Lab, he lists the ethyl acetate at 1.5%. I wonder if going through the trouble of hydrolysing it to ethanol is even worth it?
Is there some benefit to doing it other than increasing the yield a percent or two? Is it because ethyl acetate is much harder to separate from the ethanol?

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 25-5-2021 at 08:42

Well for many reactions where the ethanol is not only a solvent, you want the ethyl acetate gone.
They are hard to separate via distillation, requiring a lengthy column and even then its quite a hassle.
I would never even attempt it, simply hydrolyse and voilá.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2021 at 11:27

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Well for many reactions where the ethanol is not only a solvent, you want the ethyl acetate gone.
They are hard to separate via distillation, requiring a lengthy column and even then its quite a hassle.
I would never even attempt it, simply hydrolyse and voilá.

I see, so it's not so much about increasing the yield as it is about increasing the purity of the EtOH. Got it.

LabDIRECT
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2021 at 01:51

We dont have it up on the site yet I don't think but we carry it - I believe we have it priced at 500ml for 29.99 or a gallon for 74.99 for ACS/USP/HPLC grade, but let me double check. Feel free to send us an email at support at labdirectllc.com and we can help you out.
Hoffit
Harmless

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 26-5-2021 at 07:37

I stripped my ethyl acetate for a paint thinner. It used to be available as nail polish remover but now all the removers I find locally are acetone or some oil formulas.

It took a couple tries because one thinner had a lot of other impurities in it and made it difficult to separate (range of boiling like with petroleum ether). Another brand was just fine, although half of it came out as an azeotrope of ethanol (based on boiling point). Ethanol azeotrope is usefull to me for lot of uses too.

Locally there are quite a few pure solvents available, mostly acetone, xylenes and denatured ethanol. Paint thinner mixes are a good source for lots of other stuff.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-5-2021 at 11:28

Good luck, I cannot even get ethyl acetate at work, there seems to be a big shortage lately. When Fisher and Aldrich are out, that is a bad sign...
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2021 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Good luck, I cannot even get ethyl acetate at work, there seems to be a big shortage lately. When Fisher and Aldrich are out, that is a bad sign...
Holy crap, you're right. I just looked on the Home Depot site and Walmart, both of which have carried them (I got mine from Home Depot, luckily I haven't used it), and neither have them in stock at any store by me. It looks like Ace Hardware does, though.

Very odd.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top