Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Formic acid from Hexamine/HCl?
angelhair
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 18:50
Formic acid from Hexamine/HCl?

What percentage of formic acid could you reasonably expect to get from a methylamine reaction using Hex/HCl under a slight vacuum. Say about 250 torr. Is it worth it?
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 19:01

Your product will be heavily contaminated with other products (noxious ones amongst others, chloromethyl ethers, formaldehyde, etc). Most of the formic acid decomposes to CO2 anyway i think.
Really not worth it IMHO

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
angelhair
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 19:15

Thanks, I might look at oxalic acid and glycerol route that I saw in my old organic text book by Cohan. I don't think I spelt his name right.

In that synth they also use Lead formate and Hydrogen sulphide. I was under the impression that all you needed is the acid and glycerol.
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 19:28

Good luck getting a workable amount out of this reaction! it's very time consuming, and you get ~60% concentration at most. But it can be done if you are willing to spend time on it.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 21:54

Extract an ant colony.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 21:58

Would the reaction of hexamine with H2O2 + NaOH produce Na formate? this seems to work where formaldehyde in in place of hexamine.

H2CO + H2O2 + 2NaOH --> 2HCOONa + 2H2O + H2
2HCOONa + aqueous H2SO4 --> 2HCOOH + Na2SO4

Regarding formic acid from oxalic acid, I just stuck a page up here http://homechemistry.org/index.php?title=Preparation_of_form... which I took out of a NTO writeup I half done a couple years ago but never found the motivation to finish.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 23:13

I also think the controlled oxidation of hexamine should lead to formate salts mainly. Even if it does not get oxidized directly, hexamine slowly equilibrates with HCHO&NH3 anyway so it would just take more time. Though, I'm not sure if this equilibration is going on in basic media as well. I guess it is worth a try.

As long as the bees don't get extinct, the beekeepers will use large amounts of formic acid to fight the Varoa mite infestations and thus formic acid will remain fully OTC. You just have to know where to buy it. However, if the bees gets extinct we are fucked anyway and we will be more preoccupied with food shortage rather than formic acid preparation.

PS: Since this thread appears more like about an alternative source for formic acid than an experiment out of curiosity and because the original poster used no references, I'm moving it from Organic chemistry to Reagents and Apparatus Acquistion section.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 02:15

The glycerol procedure works well enough but it is cheaper to buy formic of course. The concentration is not much of an issue for me as fractionation works. The glycerol can be used again and again and I probably have a liter of such around somewhere.

There is also a procedure using cotton and HCl in place of glycerol, and a "concentration" procedure using aniline (the formanilide) to get 99% acid, but these came too late for me to try as I just buy mostly now. So there's stuff out there waiting for the amateur to find and try.

Anyone tried refluxing chloroform with alcoholic NaOH for formate?
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 05:20

The haloform reaction would be a good source of formates, giving chloroform in the case of bleach.

I think 85% H3PO4 can be used to generate formic acid out of dried formate salts without the CO production conc. H2SO4 causes, but don't take my word on it, I've never done it. I buy my formic acid like everybody else :D

Nicodem, in France they are starting to limite formic acid use, making alot of beekeepers unhappy because it is described as a cheap and selectif pesticide. I was unable to buy some from such outlets when i wa still looking for some there. Obviously, the pesticide-manufacturing firms prefer selling new expensive pesticides, which are more expensive to make, so generate more work and especially money. Most of the firms actually work for/are pharmaceutical companies, so they have got some reach. Sorry to disgress.

-Alice Parr
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 06:00

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
Anyone tried refluxing chloroform with alcoholic NaOH for formate?

you can use aqueous NaOH, this is exploited in the qualitative analysis of CHCl3.

are there ANY more expensive ways to formic acid?

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 07:36

Klute, I think some clarification is in order:

Quote:
The haloform reaction would be a good source of formates, giving chloroform in the case of bleach.

When most people think of the haloform reaction they think of the reaction of a methyl ketone to form the chloroform. The simplest ketone being acetone some people would think the simplest carboxylate that could be produced would be acetate. However you, I, and some others know the haloform reaction can also work on some alcohols, in this case ethanol, to give a haloform reaction. The conclusion being one molecule of haloform and another of the formate. Just clearing that up for some of the others here.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 04:49

cant you just buy it?
i buy 750ml of 85% formic acid as a drain cleaner.
it is reasonably pure as well. no colourants ect...
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 08:11

@Bromic Acid: yes, sorry for the mishap, I was obviously thinking of using bleach with either acetone or ethanol, forgot to precise it. Thank you for the clarification :)

-Alice Parr
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 10:54

Quote:
When most people think of the haloform reaction they think of the reaction of a methyl ketone to form the chloroform. The simplest ketone being acetone some people would think the simplest carboxylate that could be produced would be acetate. However you, I, and some others know the haloform reaction can also work on some alcohols, in this case ethanol, to give a haloform reaction. The conclusion being one molecule of haloform and another of the formate. Just clearing that up for some of the others here.

While true, I just want to elaborate, so others understand what is going on; The haloform reaction only works methyl ketones and acetaldehyde. The reason why ethanol seems to undergo the haloform reaction is because it is oxidized in situ by the hypochlorite to form acetaldehyde, which then enters the haloform reaction; the same goes for isopropanol and other alkyl-2-ols which are oxidized to methyl ketones in situ. So I want to clear up no alcohols undergo the haloform reaction; it is only their oxidation products which do.

[Back on topic] The Cannizzaro reaction is another possibility; although I am not so sure on the conditions, because basic formaldehyde solutions usually yield a polyoxymethylene precipitate upon treatment with alkali hydroxides (although this does require gentle heating).
kalacrow
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-5-2008 at 15:57
Formic acid preparation

Quote:
Formic Acid[64-18-6]
(CHOOH)

[3] Mix an equal amount of glycerine and oxalic acid and place in a flask. Heat this mixture at 75-90°C. Continue heating until no more CO2 bubbles out. Fresh oxalic acid is added and the process continued. When enough acid is made, distill it over using the proper apparatus and raising the temperature with an oil bath. 90% formic acid is collected. Alternatively, you can place the mixture in a distillation apparatus with a vacuum connection. Read the temperature with the thermometer placed into the mixture. Heat the mixture to ~90°C, but while under reduced pressure. As the reaction proceeds the formic acid will distill over. This takes about 4 to 5 hours for 500g of glycerine and 500g of oxalic acid.

oxalic acid is available as wood bleach. Check the "readily available chemicals" list.

[Edited on 23-5-2008 by kalacrow]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 08:15

Quote:

cant you just buy it?

Not OTC in the US as far as I know. And I look for chemicals EVERYWHERE I go.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 21:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Axt :
Regarding formic acid from oxalic acid, I just stuck a page up here http://homechemistry.org/index.php?title=Preparation_of_form... which I took out of a NTO writeup I half done a couple years ago but never found the motivation to finish.

Great page!! I just love the scheme/pic using a Wine Glass as receiver! Is a simple and very good idea to dont re-heat the formic causing a sort of reflux inside the apparatus.. I will certainly try that for nitric acid.

Why dont use at least a part of the oxalic as anhydrous? This would cause a increase of % of the obtained formic(or no?).

BTW, by what means you made your semicarbazide hydrochloride for NTO synth? I have a great interest in your experiments, just damn cool and very informative as well!
Rosco posted a patent in hydrazine thread and is that I have on my HD along with similair ones I've searched and that are based on monochlorourea derivates, IIRC..
Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodini in http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1128&a... :

GB1063893 Hydrazine or Semicarbazide selectively produced from monochlorourea

Related semicarbazide patents are
US5241117
GB1153483

=======

Quote:
Originally posted by S. C. Wack :
There is also a procedure using cotton and HCl in place of glycerol

Please, S. C. Wack, what is that method and where I can find info about it? Yields, purity, etc?
Just seems interesting..At least in theory =]

=======

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Quote:

cant you just buy it?

Not OTC in the US as far as I know. And I look for chemicals EVERYWHERE I go.

Yes, here too.. Since the damn meth cook have grow their clandestine labs, the most fuc*ing lazy act of the authorities is just cut it off from OTC and restric it to labs (to buy that (and H2SO4, HCl, acetone, Na2SO4, MEK, Ac2O, etc) here you need to show some personal documents and comprove your location).
BTW, here the only OTC of thread related is oxalic, but just dont worth bothering to extract.. It comes in a small bottle of 50-100mL and is just 30% solution and very expensive as well..

:mad::mad::mad:

[Edited on 25-5-2008 by Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2008 at 22:04

Heating paraformaldehyde (polyoxymethylene) with boric acid under pressure gives a 75% yield of methyl formate:
Boric acid catalyzed Tishchenko reactions
Paul R. Stapp
pp 1433 - 1434; DOI: 10.1021/jo00947a049
note that the plastic known as Delrin or POM is polyoxymethylene with an endcap.

Passing methanol vapour over Cu, Ag, or copper chromite, the over a basic catalyst can do the same thing:

MeOH ==(Cu catalyst 400C)==> H2CO + H2

2 H2CO ==(catalyst)==> H3CO2CH (methyl format)

Not the most simply set of reactions, being heated tube ones requiring the preparation of the catalysts.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 25-5-2008 at 01:43

By request above, from JACS 53, 2700 (1931):

"80 g. of crystallized oxalic acid, 100 g. of absorbent cotton and 100 ml. of concentrated hydrochloric acid are required. The oxalic acid is melted in its water of crystallization in a 1 L round-bottomed flask over the water-bath and the cotton, torn into small bits, thoroughly shaken with it. The hydrochloric acid is added and the flask connected for steam distillation in the usual manner, the flask being supported on gauze and tripod and not on the water-bath. Before the admission of steam, the flask is heated by the burner flame and kept boiling until about 50 ml. of distillate is obtained. The distillate is returned to the flask, 100 ml. of water added and the mixture steam distilled until about 150 ml. of distillate is collected.

Lead oxide is added to the distillate in slight excess and the liquid filtered. The filtered liquid is evaporated to small bulk and allowed to crystallize. The yield is 65 g. of lead formate, equivalent to 20 g. of formic acid. If it is assumed that one mole of oxalic acid gives one mole of cellulose mono formate and that the cellulose mono formate is completely converted to formic acid, it follows that one mole of oxalic acid in this procedure should yield, theoretically, a maximum of one mole of formic acid. On this basis 126 g. of crystallized oxalic acid will give 46 g. of formic acid. The theoretical yield of formic acid is therefore 27.2 g. If desired, the formic acid is recovered by dissolving the lead formate, precipitating the lead with hydrogen sulfide and distilling off the formic acid."

The temperature for methyl formate production with copper chromite catalyst can be lower, 220C here though yields are not great.

Attachment: iecprd_23_384_1984.pdf (593kB)
This file has been downloaded 1848 times

Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 25-5-2008 at 19:46

Thank you very much S. C. Wack.. :D Actually I misinterpreted what I have said before "There is also a procedure using cotton and HCl in place of glycerol".. I was under the impression that just cotton and HCl should did the job :( Oxalic is still required in this preparation..

Anyways, thank you for that info, is very good to know other methods and can just be useful in near future, since for some reason the glycerin bottles are disappearing on OTC stores/pharmacies that I usually spend a lot of time trying to find anything useful..

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
angelhair
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 21:31

50-60% via Oxalic is low. I would like 70% at least. Other than distillation, what drying agent could possible used to get it up to 70%.

Also, for those of you that fractionate, how easy or difficult is it? What temp do you collect at?
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 02:43

Quote:
Originally posted by angelhair
50-60% via Oxalic is low. I would like 70% at least. Other than distillation, what drying agent could possible used to get it up to 70%.

Also, for those of you that fractionate, how easy or difficult is it? What temp do you collect at?

I have played with the glycerol/oxalic route a fair bit.Make sure the glycerol is anhydrous,partially dehydrate the oxalic dihydrate to the monohydrate(constant agitation and calculate the weight loss).
Careful control of the conditions can give you up to 75%.Store over anhydrous copper sulphate in large excess from several days to weeks,should give you 87 - 88%
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 09:20

Surely you can substitute the formic acid if you need to go through so much trouble to get it? There isn't tons of reactions where formic acid is a definate requirement...

For example, if you wanted to make some performic acid, peracetic or persulfuric acid are very good alternatives.
If you want formate salts for CTH, you can directly make them via a haloform, if you want to prepare formamides, you can use ethyl formate instead (made from the formate salts in last resorts), etc

Preparing concentrated formic acid isn't such a trivial thing to do, better avoid it if you can.

-Alice Parr
angelhair
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-12-2008 at 19:16

You make preparaing formic sound like a nightmare which makes me want to do it even more so. Surley it can't be any more untrivial than making MeNH2.HCl?

Ignore my question about fractionating. I just realised that formic distills as an azeotrope.

How does peracetic acid perform in comparison to performic acid?
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 05:27

Well, not really a nightmare, but tedious work. MeNH2.HCl is actually even simplier, but just a bit long and smelly, but you obtain a butload of clean product at the end, with needing to purify it an countless number of times. But of course there isn't any easy substituant!

Peracetic is just longer to prepare than performic. I must agree performic is very easy in the sense that you mix the acid an dH2O2 in the cold, and you a ready to go, while with peracetic you have to wait 2-3 days with a little H2SO4, but that leaves you plenty of time to prepare things a head, do a little cleaning, etc

Of course you can also prepare it from perborate if you have good stirring equipement, which is immediate, and apparently very smooth and selective.

Or depending on your application and substrate, using peroxodisulfate in AcOH/H2SO4 can be a very rewarding alternative, easy to prepare, no thick slurry, and very satisfying yields.

Performic is very practical if you have a supply of 85% formic acid, but i really do not think it is that much better than other percaids to go through the trouble of preparing a minute amount of dilute acid with lots of efforts.
The three days waiting with peracetic will be compensated by three days of work to obtain a decent amount of formic acid, and the two are perfectly substituable IMHO. If you feel like trying out new procedures, the persulfuric method is very easy to employ, and I had very good results with it once the optimal conditions where found.

-Alice Parr
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top