Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: H2S intoxication
Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 09:47

Quote: Originally posted by Zan Divine  
The scarriest lab toxin to me is bis(chloromethyl)ether (anybody who uses chloroacetyl chloride ought to pay attention).

Coincidentally, I was just reading up on chloroacetyl chloride today. Does the chloride react with itself to form bis(chloromethyl)ether, or is something else involved? My chemistry (particularly organic) is a little rusty and I can't figure a mechanism...

Find your nearest fellow mad scientists! Add yourself to the Science Madness Hackspace map today!
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wishing all the worst that life has to offer to that SOB Wayne Lapierre

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 11:29

On an industrial scale, CAC is made from 1,1-Dichloroethylene by a light catalyzed oxidation. BCME is a very minor contaminant. A side product, from over-oxidation of some percentage of the starting material, is a peroxide mess which decomposes to give BCME and other, lesser, toxins.

And yet, widespread awareness of the BCME problem, from all sources, seems lacking

I still can't believe that anybody still thinks about chloromethylation via formaldehyde & HCl. But they do.
There's also a whole crew out there trying to make methylamine hydrochloride and some of their methods are probably generating toxins they don't even know exist.

Give me fast and furious toxins any day.

[Edited on 8/8/2012 by Zan Divine]

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of some of the pain of being a man. --HST

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 05:50

Please note that H2S can poison you via skin absorption with a perfectly good gas mask. There was a case of reported fatalies among sew workers wearing their mask but having removed clothing thereby permitting skin exposure, so this is real.

The delayed mortality effect is also pretty scary as having received a fatal dose, you may not know it (walking dead).
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, those working in a low dose H2S setting, I believe there is available some research on the effects of such prolonged H2S exposure.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 16-8-2012 at 12:56

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  

Please note that H2S can poison you via skin absorption with a perfectly good gas mask...

Interesting, sources actually disagreed on skin exposure poisoning of Hydrogen sulfide. Here is my reference to a peer reviewed study: www.gasdetection.com/Toxnet_HSDB/h2s.html
which allures to skin toxicosis from high concentrations over a long period. Another source states "Absorption through the skin is minimal." See www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hurricane_Facts/hydrogen_sulfide_fa...

I suspect that skin absorption becomes more significant at high concentrations, and with prolonged H2S exposure, deadly.

[Edited on 16-8-2012 by AJKOER]
polymerizer87
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 14:32

Quote: Originally posted by liquidlightning  
Wait, isn't intraveinous sodium nitrite used to treat cyanide poisoning? I had no idea it also worked for H2S.

I believe Sodium thiosulfate is used to treat cyanide poisoning
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 22-8-2012 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by polymerizer87  
Quote: Originally posted by liquidlightning  
Wait, isn't intraveinous sodium nitrite used to treat cyanide poisoning? I had no idea it also worked for H2S.

I believe Sodium thiosulfate is used to treat cyanide poisoning

Nitrite and thiosulphate. Nitrite liberates respiratory enzyme system by creating methemoglobin which cyanide anion "likes" more than the enzyme. Thiosulphate removes the cyanide and you get hemoglobin again.
Organic nitrites would work fine enough. If you're about to die, you don't care about some harmful effects of the antidotes.
If one's working with cyanides, it's advisable to have these ampoules ready.

[Edited on 22-8-2012 by Endimion17]

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top