Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chalk project prep
lemonhope
Harmless

Mood: above average

[*] posted on 18-11-2018 at 08:12
chalk project prep

I do this project from time to time in front of my house where I'll lure rubes into contributing to the community gingerchalk project. I've been doing various small-scale experiments, and found the most pronounced effect on "cleaning up" the cement (a nice, clean, uniform canvass, or as best as I can get) is to lay down epsom salt on the ground before adding small amounts of muriatic acid.

I've been surprised at the lack of information on the actual [HCl + MgHSO4] reactions, although there's quite a bit on JUST Mg a well as basic equation balancing.

There are various types of cement on the sidewalk, many tiles having been replaced at different times. My current target is cement that has particulates (pebbles and stones more-or-less about the size the eraser on a pencil).

Ideally I'd like to try and get a fairly uniform surface and color for the various tiles; think of using a piece of chalk on a smooth vs rocky piece of pavement, and why a "uniform" (ish) color for the pavement might be valuable for this.

Any ideas? Will I have to "level" out the stones mechanically, or is there an acid-ex-machina useful on this kind of scale? And how exactly is the Mag Sulphate Septahydrate interacting with the HCl?

Thanks for your time everyone! Long time listener, first time caller. Oh, and one more thing....I kind of have a thing for acids, I just love that proton exchange. Really. But I also don't want to mess with my beautiful neighborhood and the general welfare.

DFTBA!
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-11-2018 at 10:17

I think that any chemical composition capable of quickly cleaning concrete should not become part of a street artist's tools.
Personal and public risk, damage to property, waste etc.

Could you consider a cordless (battery powered) sander ?
You could create a nice/smooth/even/polished surface worthy of your art,
and it may be cheaper the chemical route over time.

The time-honoured approach ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesso

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-11-2018 at 17:02

MgHSO4 is not a valid chemical formula. Epson salt, magnesium sulfate heptahydrate, is MgSO4.7H2O.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 18-11-2018 at 17:09

epsom salt is MgSO4 not MgHSO4

And muractic acid and epsom salt do not react to any significant degree.

Now muratic acid will dissolve cement (calcium carbonate) forming calcium chloride.
Calcium chloride and magnessium sulfate (epsom salt) form calcium sulfate and magnesium chloride.

This turns the cement to plaster (calcium sulfate) which gives a smoother surface
but the surface is very soft and somewhat water soluble (~1g / L).
kulep
Harmless

Mood: Spicy

[*] posted on 19-11-2018 at 10:33

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
epsom salt is MgSO4 not MgHSO4

And muractic acid and epsom salt do not react to any significant degree.

Now muratic acid will dissolve cement (calcium carbonate) forming calcium chloride.
Calcium chloride and magnessium sulfate (epsom salt) form calcium sulfate and magnesium chloride.

This turns the cement to plaster (calcium sulfate) which gives a smoother surface
but the surface is very soft and somewhat water soluble (~1g / L).

Calcium sulfate is also shaped into cylinders known as chalk sticks :D

I think you're better off mixing some portland cement with fine sand and applying a good coat, you can even add some pigments to get a better suited colour
lemonhope
Harmless

Mood: above average

[*] posted on 23-11-2018 at 05:31

Thanks to all for the responses!! I too thought the H looked out of place -- I had purchased it cheaply and the clear translation errors for basic words kind of astonishes me; hadn't looked too much into it. The H was actually on the package, I really wonder whether it's a poor Chinese translation or general IUPAC translation!

It seems that applying a coat rather than stripping one away seems best all around.

If anyone has fun ideas for coloring cement or the like, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks again!

Don't Forget To Be Awesome!
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2018 at 05:55
Thermochromic pigments

Just search eBay, Amazon etc. for "Thermochromic"

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur

Go To Top