Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gigantic Test Tubes
chemkid
Hazard to Others

Mood: polarized

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 15:40
Gigantic Test Tubes

I found these at a yard sale for a dollar...two gigantic Pyrex test tubes attached to two shuttles for a spinning loom (irrelevant). But they are huge. They were part of a wall hanging and intended as vases i guess. 9 and 3/4 inch high, one inch in diameter. I guess there boiling tubes? A lot bigger than any test tube i have ever seen before. Any ideas for uses (creative ones included)?

Chemkid

Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 15:58

Probably Kjeldahl Distillation tube, we have plenty of these in the lab, some have a little bulb at the top to prevent bumping.

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
bio2
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 20:13

Combustion tubes with thick walls perhaps. A version of those have a constriction at the top for flame sealing.
kalacrow
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-5-2008 at 23:57

Columns for making acids and such. The thinner and taller, the better for dissolving gases into a solution.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 27-5-2008 at 02:35

I have a few of those too. I used them to capture Cl2 in electrolysis. I also used one to replace the broken glass tube on my fish tank heater :D

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 27-5-2008 at 08:20

Those are not what I would call huge.

I have a couple hydrometer tubes that are that diameter and about twice that long. Custom made and held in a ringstand.

And at present am having an immersion well built, this is essentially a 34mm x 31mm ID x 450mm long test tube inside of a 48mm x 45mm x 470mm test tube, with the tubes fused together at top and inlet and outlet tubes for cooling water fitted at top. This is for suspending a medium pressure Hg vapor arc UV lamp in and fixing inside a photochemical reaction vessel with a #50 ace-thred joint and a nylon or PTFE bushing and O-ring seal. Either the inner or outer tube have your beat by a long way in terms of both OD and length.

I think perusal of the catalogs of the usual suspects will reveal that 1" x 10" pyrex test tubes with or without lip are stock items.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top