Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help me make calculator programmes to aid chemistry calculations
anon
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-11-2018 at 09:45
Help me make calculator programmes to aid chemistry calculations

Hi,
I want to make calculator programmes to aid calculations in exams. But I'm not quite sure how to make more complicated commands. One calculation is elemental analysis of organic compounds. The programme can start like this:
?→A:?→B:?→C:?→D:?→X:A/12.01◢B/1.008◢C/14.01◢D/16◢
Where A, B, C, D is the % of C, H, N, O and X is molar/molecular mass.
Then divide everything by the smallest number among the 4. If C/14.01 is smallest then divide the others by C/14.01. If D/16 is smallest then divide the others by D/16. So the problems are: how to tell the calculator to determine which is the smallest? And if the compound doesn't contain N or O, C/14.01 or D/16 will be 0. How do I tell the calculator to ignore 0 in this case? If the compound has other elements like Cl or S that I normally don't expect in questions how to add an optional space to fill in the mass % and atomic weight of the elements? (I can press exe on calculator if not needed to skip them)
Next is determine molar mass. Assume number of C:H:N:O=4.02:10.09:2.05:2.00 how to tell the calculator "all of them is +/- x% (maybe 10?) within the acceptable range so it's good enough so you can stop to tell me this combination (rounding not needed)" or "one of them is too large/small and is outside the range so please continue to go up"? If the question didn't mention molar mass and I'll have to determine the structure from empirical formula and other info like IR and NMR (assume no mass spec) how to tell the calculator to stop at the empirical formula? (When calculator ask me at "?→X", I have to either press exe to skip or press 0, depend on how the programme work)
My calculator has only 4 places to store custom programmes so I hope to use only 1 place to store this programme. The calculator model is Casio fx-50F Plus.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

[Edited on 21-11-2018 by anon]
anon
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2018 at 10:07

Hello? Please help, it's URGENT:(

[Edited on 22-11-2018 by anon]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2018 at 10:46

I doubt that you will get much help here because I'm not aware of a member with Casio programming skills that would want to be involved in such a project.

Will you trust your examination result to a hurriedly programmed untested programme ?

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
anon
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-11-2018 at 12:17

OK, go at your own speed. There may be future situations where I need the program for calculations.

Go To Top