Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: menthol extraction
Glaudge
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 12:13
menthol extraction

ive searched for "menthol extraction" and came up with nothing, so please don't flame saying i didnt search.

i have learned that most species of mint are high in menthol and menthone, and looked at all the wild mint that is around (lemon balm is everywhere, and the peppermint is hogging so much holler water, it's almost become an invasive species) and was interested to see if there was a way to put all this mint to use.

i searched on google and here, with not a lot of headway. but would any of you be in the know on a effective amature house extraction of menthol?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 14:23

Mints generally yield about a half percent by weight of essential oil. Steam distillation is typically the first step for treating the essential oils, after that the process depends on the species and target products.

http://www.nwpharm.com/processing/processing_Mentha_Arvensis...
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 23:14

In my area mint farming is big business and a couple of natural products types have a refinery where they re-distill the oil they get from farmers and sell to Wrigleys... I've been looking into critical fluid methods but the barrier is solvent recovery .. so far too much energy needed. You can also use solvent extraction. I designed an extractor that works at the boiling point of the solvent as opposed to the condensed material as in a Soxhlet.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 30-5-2008 at 23:38

See the book or books on essential oils in the forum library. They are really tricky to find because they have the title THE ESSENTIAL OILS. mean, who would ever thing of looking in there?

Pure menthol is commercially available, as are the essential oils of mentha spicata, and other mint species. Those are mixtures and rather elaborate techniques are required to seperate the components. I mean HPLC, spinning band columns, that sort of thing. So depending on your application, you may be better off with purchasing.

Or you may want to investigate synthesis, unless the optical activity is important to your application. Even then, resolution of a racemate may be somewhat easier than isolation of pure menthol from the essential oils.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 31-5-2008 at 02:38

I don't think the isolation of menthol from the mint essential oil is easy enough for the average amateur chemist. You should check the patent literature. Also the book Sauron told you to read, generally also describes the typical isolation procedures with references. So that should be the first source you should have checked before posting!
If the menthol content of the mint essential oil in your area is particularly high you could attempt to crystallize it by diluting the oil with some petroleum ether and put the solution in the freezer for a couple of days. If you are lucky enough the menthol with crystallize out and you can filter it while still cold. Other alternatives probably require good distillation equipment like efficient distillation columns and a stable vacuum source.

Edit: Actually I was wrong. It appears it is easy to isolate menthol from mint oil even without a distillation column. A couple of recrystallizations of mint oil gives essentially pure menthol. So, no equipment is needed (except of course a distillation still as used for brandy making in order to steam distill the essential oil from a large enough amount of the herb).

[Edited on 31/5/2008 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 20:50

Right- the natural products guys are distilling for consistent product not menthol so the goal is different. I too would be after an oil rather than pure menthol which is easy enough to obtain commercially. I want a lower energy method to pull the oil if possible but it's kind of a back burner thing for me. Anyway, not_important is right, steam distillation is the millennia old method and probably for very good reasons.

[Edited on 5-6-2008 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 16:40

Quote:
Originally posted by SauronSee the book or books on essential oils in the forum library. They are really tricky to find because they have the title THE ESSENTIAL OILS. mean, who would ever thing of looking in there?

There is a thread on books on essential oils in the References section, which gave several downloading links for ebooks on the subject. I could give Glaudge the links to download them by U2U, I suppose.

[Edited on 8-6-08 by JohnWW]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 17:18

That will of course require the thread author to obtain password for References from a moderator.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top