Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rejuvinating old rubber?
angelhair
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 22:17
rejuvinating old rubber?

I have one of those rubber sleaves that sit's under a buchner filter funnel that has gone a bit hard and doesn't let me gat a good vacuum anymore. Is here any way to soften it? I don't know what kind of rubber it is.
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 02:04

Hmm... for hard and cracked rubber steering wheel restoration they wash/scrub with a concentrated detergent solution (washing up liquid in water) to remove old oils, file down the cracks and re-fill them with an epoxy glue. I wonder if something like that will work for you sleave. I don't know if it will work or not but perhaps just a mild solvent wash will soften it ?? Or perhaps the scrub with detergent and mild solvent? Maybe coating it with a flexible polymer glue will give it the 'give' and softness it needs to hold a vacuum... just guessing really - hope it works.

PS - if that doesn't work (washing out the oils could have the opposite effect) - than how about trying the opposite and massaging in some moistorising cream or baby oil or something - you never know.

[Edited on 2-6-2008 by DrP]

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
Dilligaf
Harmless

Mood: surly

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 09:36

This is old timey but try soaking in ammonia water. . rubbing with glycerine might work. I believe Armoral makes an otc rubber treatment. . If you can't find something contact me offline, I work in the printing industry and we use a commercial rubber rejuvinator to soften rubber printing rolls, I could send you a small bottle.
DrP
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 00:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf
we use a commercial rubber rejuvinator to soften rubber printing rolls, I could send you a small bottle.

Does it say what the main constituents in it are? Is there an MSDS with the info on or something?

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
DrP
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 06:18

OK - I had a search around online regarding rubber rejuvenation just out of interest. I saw some guy on another forum suggesting that he uses brake fluid on rubber when he runs out of the rubber re-gen stuff. I think brake fluid is a mixture of glycol ethers amongst other things, but mainly the glycol ether. Thus I reckon that that the right solvent would soften it up if scrubbed in a bit.

Dilligaf
Harmless

Mood: surly

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 16:51

The stuff is from superior solvents, according to the MSDS it is Oxybispropanolmethylether
I would be careful using brake fluid, we used to use it as a cheap tire black when I was a kid, after a while the tires started showing signs of weather checking
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 21:50

Almost oily substance will work. I have done this hundreds of times. Lemon oil, WD40, baby oil, mineral oil. Pretty much any lubricant also. Of course, there are always exceptions and you should do a small test spot before covering the whole thing.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
janger
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 18:14

Silicone spray seems to rejuvenate and soften some types of rubber. However I onced sprayed some on my pushbike tire. Within several weeks it turned yellowish (sulphur?) and began cracking more than the non-sprayed areas.

Go To Top