Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mosquito repellants (2-ethyl-1,3-hexanediol)
Bronstein
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 12:46
Mosquito repellants (2-ethyl-1,3-hexanediol)

Where I live there used to be this mosquito repellant that contained 2-ethyl-1,3-hexanediol. Later it was banned, and it has since come to have an almost legendary status as the ultimate insect repellant. Nothing nowadays could beat it people use to say.

I understand there are some places where they still use this, can anyone of you tell me if it's really that good? I have considered buying the pure chemical (it's actually pretty cheap) and making up some of my own mosquito repellant, but it would be interesting to know before hand if it's really as good as they say. Or if it's just like fishing stories, it gets better and better for each person that tells the story.

I guess it might make a difference depending on the particular variety of mosquitoes in the different countries though.

[Edited on 2-6-2008 by Bronstein]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 15:31

Here in New Zealand, there are 6 native species of mosquito, some of which are believed to be also found in Australia. A few years ago, the Australian salt marsh mosquito, which carries a virus, found its way here, either in used tires or by being simply blown over, and attempts are being made to find and eradicate infestations.

For many years, DIMP, or dimethyl phthalate, was the only mosquito repellant here, sold as a wipe-on product. Then, while retaining the brand-name DIMP, it was replaced with a solution of N,N-diethyltoluamide, in an aerosol spray-can, available in pharmacies and supermarkets. This cost much more, but was no more effective. The genuine dimethyl phthalate seems to be unobtainable, except possibly from induistrial chemical suppliers. The present most prominent brands now sold here (both manufactured in Australia) are Aerogard, as a pump-spray containing 92.8 g/l of picardin (or icaridin) in either isopropanol or methylated (denatured) spirits with possibly a small amount of acetone, and Off! Skintastic, an aerosol spray containing 191 g/l of N,N-diethyltoluamide (as above), 40 g/kg of di-n-propyl isocinchomeronate, and 20 g/l of n-octyl-bicycloheptene dicarboximide, probably also dissolved in either isopropanol or methylated spirits with some acetone added. While they are effective, they are outrageously priced, and do not seem to be any more effective than the old dimethyl phthalate.

[Edited on 3-6-08 by JohnWW]
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 07:36

The mosquito repellant I remember from my childhood in New Orleans in the 50s was an oily topical liquid sold under the brand names Formula 612 or Skeetol. I do not remember its chemical composition. My recollection was that it was a WWII development.

Exactly why was 2-ethyl-1,3-hexanediol banned?

The most common mosquito-borne virus is dengue while obviously the most troublesome parasite with a mosquito vector is the plasmodium responsible for faciparum malaria, which can be fatal and which is so resistant to treatment.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
-jeffB
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 08:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
The mosquito repellant I remember from my childhood in New Orleans in the 50s was an oily topical liquid sold under the brand names Formula 612 or Skeetol. I do not remember its chemical composition. My recollection was that it was a WWII development.

Hmm... I see Skeetol listed as a brand name for BT biological control, and Formula 612 listed as an algaecide/fungicide/microbicide:

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/product.tcl?reg_n...

As far as I've seen, DEET is the gold standard for mosquito repellents, significantly more effective than anything before or since. Picaridin is about equally effective, but not as persistent -- you need to reapply more frequently, and, of course, it's more expensive. It's worth it for me, though, as picaridin is not an aggressive solvent like DEET (which will eat straight through auto paint, synthetic fabrics, and laptop finishes). It also doesn't reek like DEET.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 08:56

2-ethyl-1,3-hexanediol is a skin irritant, and the US manufacture Union Carbide reported indications of it causing birth defects. It indeed was the oily stuff making up Formula 612, also known simply as 6-12.

Phthalate diesters have endocrinological activity, specifically estrogen-like ones. I suspect the military was not too keen on the possibility of needed to supply their troops with C and D cups.

In a number of studies DEET was found to be the most effective repellent. Many of these studies were done by various national military of health agencies, in some cases including 6-12 and/or DMP in the study.

One thing that may influence the selection of repellents is evidence of inherited tolerance of them
Quote:
Certain inbred strains differed significantly from cognate laboratory and/or inbred strains in tolerance to one or more test materials. Heritability in the broad sense (H2) was estimated at 0.05 for deet, 0.22 for ethyl hexanediol, 0.48 for dimethyl phthalate, and 0.51 for Indalone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8014634?ordinalpos=1&...

If I'm reading that correctly, DMP is rather susceptible to acquired resistance and 6-12 moderately so, while DEET is much less so.

If I'm remembering correctly, these repellents don't repell so much as 'jam' the insects CO2/H2O sensing, so that they can no longer follow the gradient back to the animal but instead must depend on drunkards-walk luck.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 16:45

DEET is N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, which I mentioned above; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET .

As for DIMP and other phthalate diesters having estrogenic activity, there must be other volatile aromatic esters, not being estrogenic, that also repel mosquitos by "jamming" their ability to detect CO2 (and other substances emitted by bodies - they seem to go for bare skin, so they must also detect heat and substances in perspiration, such as some medium-length branched-chain alcohols). I wonder if, for example, methyl or ethyl benzoate, or esters of the benzenedicarboxylic acids other than phthalic acid, or methyl or ethyl esters of the isomeric methyl- or ethyl-benzoic acids have been tried. They are likely to be cheaper to make than N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 06:29

How the hell did they light on the acronyl DEET? The second E is superfluous for N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide.

So the repellant of my youth was the 2-ethyl-1,3-hexanediol. I do not remember it being at all irritating. It had a smell, but not an unpleasant one.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 11:31

Citronella oil anyone? Not brilliantly effective but it smells nice.

Most of the phthalates aren't endocrine disruptors but bandwaggon politics got rid of all of them. If it turns out that they are really a problem then the Western world is doomed- for many years they were massively used as plasticisers for PVC etc. Just the thing for baby toys- soft and washable (and chewy - ask any baby).
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 16:36

As I recall, dibutyl phthalate is the specific scent involved in canine estrus.

So I would not advise using that ester as a mosquito repellant, unless you want to be very popular with any male dogs that happen to be around.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 20:21

Another fairly cheap aromatic ester that could be investigated for mosquito-repelling properties is methyl salicylate, the major constituent of oil of wintergreen.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 23:18

Methyl salicylate has the disadvantage that it is absorbed through the skin to some extent, which can lead to salicylate toxicity. This is especially true if aspirin is also taken, as that gives a fairly high level in the blood. People using anti-coagulants also need to be careful.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/448275_side1

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003741058...

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3252385

and guys - think twice
http://meeting.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/abstract/132/4/7...
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 00:43

Ouch.

A little dab WILL do you.

Go To Top