Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Announcements of Articles in Progress
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 12:57
Announcements of Articles in Progress

If you are currently writing an article for the Prepublication forum, you may want to make an announcement here. This is to prevent two people from independently submitting articles on the same topic.

Please note that:
  • Making an announcement does not constitute a "reservation" of that particular topic. The purpose of this thread is only to advise users of each other's intentions
  • An announcement should only be made if you definitely intend to complete an article. Please do not use this thread to solicit opinion, or to place conditions on whether or not you will proceed.
  • Announcements should not be overly broad. If you intend to write a long, wide ranging article, please state which part you intend to complete first.
  • If you decide to abandon or postpone an article, you should withdraw your announcement.
  • Posts in this thread may be merged or heavily edited.

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Baphomet
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2006 at 03:00

Proposed: Preparation of Palladium Chloride catalyst from OTC materials. Includes GC/MS analysis and illustrations.
Baphomet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2006 at 19:01

Design of a High Flux Solar Gasification plant, with diagrams and explanatory notes.

In summary, HFSG technology would use solar energy to depolymerise municipal waste and produce methanol and ethanol for use as fuel.

Note: I'm looking for other people who might be able to help with the design. CAD skills would be highly regarded.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 20-11-2006 at 19:05

Illustrated WHERE?

I am not sure what you are on about.
You have to at least SHOW the experimental approach taken this far, rather than just making a 'title line'.

So where's the hard data?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Baphomet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2006 at 21:33

My interpretation of the first post was that this is a thread for the announcement of articles currently in progress. If more details are required then I will post what I have for the PdCl and HFSG articles when convenient. The Odour Control article is nearly finished and will be posted soon.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 30-12-2007 at 01:00

Propose: Generation of Ammonia via hydroylsis of urea using V2O5/Na3VO4 as a catalyst.

Not the most interesting/orignal topic but you have to start somewhere...
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-12-2007 at 01:04

That reminds me, I've been interested in seeing urea vapor and air passed over a copper catalyst to produce NO, and thus NOx, and thus HNO3.

I should build an apparatus for that some day and see what happens. If it works well and is easy to put together, it would be an excellent addition here, huh?

For that matter, I should "prepublish" some other things, too. It's about time I post something here...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Engager
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lagrangian

[*] posted on 13-4-2008 at 14:00

Completed big compilation work on tetrazole derivatives, now it is avialable on russian language, may be found here in pdf version: http://rapidshare.com/files/106232090/Tetrazoles_rus_.pdf.ht...

Now it's being translated to english, i used auto translator + hand translation, but it still need corrections to sound good, by native language speaker, The_Davster corrected a part of it but he is very busy. Then this will be finished, i will place large pdf & forum versions of this compilation work here in prepublications section.

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 13:41
I'm working on a few projects

Articles currently in progress at the experimental stage (expect these in the coming weeks):

Palladium on carbon, Adam's catalyst, miscellaneous catalysts and special requests. Co-authored with NERV for his expertise on nickel catalysts.

Will cover preparation, practical usage, and (time permitting) characterization.

Synthesis of anhydrous aluminum trichloride and other halides from the elements.

Will cover preparation and subsequent purification via sublimation. I do have LiH so I may attempt LiAlH4.

Articles coming before the end of the year:

Black and White Phosphorus, An Illustrated Synthesis

Synthesis of cesium and rubidium metal from their chlorides.

Articles that are finished and pending prepublication:

The Synthesis of Dialkyl Sulfates*

Bromine, an Illustrated Synthesis

*I will likely not publish this synthesis. It makes use of hard to find precursors (oleum or chlorosulfonic acid) and it is a very dangerous synthesis that I have had problems with on the many occasions I performed it. I do not think this is something that should even be attempted out side of a well equipped professional laboratory. I will make available any information that members here request via U2U and answer any questions on it, but I strongly recommend against performing the synthesis. I had bad experiences with it.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2008 at 14:24

Caesium metal :o??! I wonder what possible applications that would actually have in the lab?
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-7-2008 at 08:04

Possible chemical reactions of Cs that K may not be capable of? I have heard of alkali-metal anions being obtained; - they would be VERY reactive, if so, and could only be obtained as Cs+ with Li- or possibly Na-. Also, it may just be possible to get He or Ne to accept an electron from Cs, to form anions He- and Ne-, isoelectronic with Li and Na, but again such a compound would be VERY reactive if it could be formed and probably stable only at low temperatures.

Of course, samples of Cs salts would be needed in an analytical laboratory as standards for calibration of analyses of waters and minerals for Cs by flame-photometry or atomic-absorption.
-jeffB
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-7-2008 at 10:09

Quote:
Originally posted by DJF90
Caesium metal :o??! I wonder what possible applications that would actually have in the lab?

A powerful getter for high-vacuum applications. My day-job lab has a fair amount of rubidium for doing spin polarization on helium and xenon, and I think we're going to be using cesium as well, but polarizing helium-3 probably isn't a good home science project.

I've got a kg or so of pollucite that I bought on eBay years ago, and I've thought about trying to render out some impure cesium from that, but I doubt I'll ever muster the courage. I don't have great confidence in my technique.

[Edited on 7-30-08 by -jeffB]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 11:38

my first and next prepublication , extraction of chromium.

I never asked for this.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 02:25

An amateur chemists' guide to PPE and lab safety.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Diablo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Autodidactic

[*] posted on 24-6-2012 at 12:58

Electrosynthesis of trichloromethane and
Electrosynthesis of potassium permanganate
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 17-11-2012 at 14:52

Quote: Originally posted by Diablo  
Electrosynthesis of trichloromethane and
Electrosynthesis of potassium permanganate

did you actually make permanganate with electrolysis?
Digital Hepatitis
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-11-2012 at 23:56

[1] Improved method of preparing 5-bromovanillin with bromodimethylsulfonium bromide (BDMS). Here's the representative article on the subject:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/11680334_Electrophil...

Abstract:
AbstractIt has been shown that bromodimethylsulfonium bromide, generated in situ by treating dimethyl sulfoxide with aqueous hydrobromic acid, is a milder and more selective reagent for electrophilic aromatic bromination than elemental bromine.

Fair enough -- who isn't looking for a high-yielding OTC halogenation mechanism? All one needs to facilitate a BDMS-mediated bromination is DMSO, hydrobromic acid, acetic acid &/or hydrogen peroxide. While the yields reported by the authors are acceptable, they suffer from an appalling overuse of hydrobromic acid that leaves this method un-scalable (unless you have liters and liters of hydrobromic acid sitting around.) By generating BDMS in situ and refluxing the desired substrate (i.e., vanillin) in a suitable solvent (e.g., toluene) and removing the water from the reaction vessel by means of a Dean-Stark apparatus, yields can be attained comparable to the standard bromination procedure (i.e., slowly dripping elemental bromine in the substrate and acetic acid).

[2] Improved method for preparation of methoxy-3 methylenedioxy-4,5 benzaldehyde (myristicin aldehyde) from 5-hydroxyvanillin using a phase transfer catalyst.

Referencing European patent 0278875, myristicin aldehyde can be prepared in good yield by refluxing tetrabutylammonium bromide and 5-hydroxyvanillin in dichloromethane in the presence of a base.

[3] Have kicked around a vague idea for an aluminum isopropoxide FAQ detailing all of the methods for its preparation (iodine, HgCl2, etc.) but that is way off in the distance now.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2012 at 11:26

Electrolytic separation of cupronickel - yields reasonably pure copper and nickel powders.

This will be a cleaned-up report of some experiments I did which are scattered around in a long thread.

Tank

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 19-7-2013 at 11:42
Chloroform via Haloform Rxn. of Acetone and Sodium Hypochlorite

I've been unable to find a good article in here for the synthesis of chloroform by the Haloform reaction between acetone and sodium hypochlorite. I've noticed that there's been plenty of discussion on this reaction on the board, but it seems that no one has taken it on themselves to prepare a SM publication. I'm willing to compile the information and data myself from everything that's been posted, but as i haven't actually performed this preparation, I couldn't give it that personal touch. Is there anyone out there who would like to work on this, or at least collaborate with me on this? If nothing else, I need someone who can contribute photos (or permission to re-use photos from existing posts).

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 19-7-2013 at 11:49

I can run it with extra strength bleach and acetone tonight on the stirplate, and seperate with a sep funnel, then upload the pics tom. My camera is pretty good.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
bob800
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2013 at 16:59

Extraction and Purification of Oleic Acid from Olive Oil

From this article: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02631772#page-1
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 13:38

Luminescence in terbium(III) salts:
  • Novel quenching phenomenon with iron(III) contaminated terbium salts
  • An unusual lack of fluorescence in terbium hydroxide
  • Ion substitution in the brilliantly triboluminescent hexakis(antipyrine)terbium iodide
  • Formation of the triboluminescent hexaaquadichloroterbium chloride complex when crystallizing TbCl3
  • The role of antipyrine as a chromophore in terbium luminescence

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-3-2014 at 23:34

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
I've been unable to find a good article in here for the synthesis of chloroform by the Haloform reaction between acetone and sodium hypochlorite. I've noticed that there's been plenty of discussion on this reaction on the board, but it seems that no one has taken it on themselves to prepare a SM publication. I'm willing to compile the information and data myself from everything that's been posted, but as i haven't actually performed this preparation, I couldn't give it that personal touch. Is there anyone out there who would like to work on this, or at least collaborate with me on this? If nothing else, I need someone who can contribute photos (or permission to re-use photos from existing posts).

Check YouTube. There is at least one step-by-step video.
organichem
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-7-2014 at 23:31
New benzofuran compound

Currently I'm working on different things;
1) more convenient route to 2,3,6,7-tetrahydrobenzodifuran [especially improving cyclisation via Mg]
2) most actual project (to start some work on SAR):
I worked out a (theoretical) way to prepare a compound I haven't heard of yet
--> step 1: Al-mediated o-selective chloroacetylation
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 17-10-2014 at 00:58

Coming soon with:

• Synthesis of Indole by Reissert method
  • Synthesis Low carbon Alkoxide by Molecular Sieve 3A in new Apparatus

Pages:  1  

Go To Top