Printable Version  
Author: Subject: due dillagence ordering
beebo
Harmless

Mood: Groovy

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 21:49
due dillagence ordering

Greetings

this moose is about to place an order for some Pd on Carbon 10 % (5G's) and some Trimethylbenzene (500mL)

ordered together from a US supplier
I want to fly cleanly under their RADAR:

I would like to have all the right answers before they ask their questions.

does any bee have a good suggestion for a valid lab eperiment that would employ the 2 chems legally.

I intend to assist the moose with a dehydrogenation experiment.

A MooseTacular Guy
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 22:01

Moose?

Is his name Bullwinkle?

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
beebo
Harmless

Mood: Groovy

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 22:02

yes Bullwinkle

I have ordered chems from major suppliers under an assumed business name in der past and intend to do the same again.

[Edited on by beebo]

A MooseTacular Guy
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 22:32

sym-trimethylbenzene is better known as mesitylene and is absurdly easy to prepare from entirely OTC materials.

So I dunno why you need to buy it much less solicit assistance in concocting a cover story for doing so.

But all in all you sound like someone who would be happier in the Frostbite Falls MN chapter of wetdreams.

My regards to Rocky, who as a flying squirrel ought to be adept at staying under the radar.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-6-2008 at 22:37

@beebo: I have the strong feeling that this is not the right place for you. Bees make honey, and over here we make anything but honey :P.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 04:15

No one here is going to help you that sort of stuff.

Wetdreams and/or theZoneZ is where you want to go :)

No harsh feelings

edit: Pd/C is really not too suspicious to order, order it from a photographic supplier, little more expensive maybe but not as "sketchy".

[Edited on 18-6-2008 by stateofhack]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 08:50

Any excuse involving "a valid lab experiment" is suspicious by itself since from the unfortunate viewpoint of most chemical suppliers, as a private person you have no reason to either have a lab or perform any lab experiments. Such is the reality and if you deal with them you better behave professionally, meaning you don't reply to stupid questions like "what do you need this for?" which I never even heard by any supplier (though things are different from country to country, supplier to supplier, or so I heard). If a substance is regulated in any way (which is generally indicated also in the catalogue), they will have you fill certain end user formulars, if it is not you don't have to invent excuses - since if you do, it only raises suspicions that you are after something illegal.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
indigofuzzy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Distilled

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 09:19

no offense, but why do you need "a good suggestion for a valid lab eperiment that would employ the 2 chems legally", unless of course you're either doing something illegal with those chemicals, or purchasing them for someone who is likely to.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DancingRain

26 elements collected so far
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 12:31

Yes, what is trimethylbenzene used for "illegally"?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
stateofhack
Hazard to Others

Mood: annoyed

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 12:36

Quote:
Originally posted by MagicJigPipe
Yes, what is trimethylbenzene used for "illegally"?

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/fc.acylation...

and

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/aromatic.iod...

:(

Also used in the synthesis of methamphetamine, i have some info for that but i doubt it is suited in this place ;)

To the OP, if your up to some nastiness (because you really do sound so judging by your post) then you will get no help from it here!

[Edited on 18-6-2008 by stateofhack]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 13:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
sym-trimethylbenzene is better known as mesitylene and is absurdly easy to prepare from entirely OTC materials.

Just seems weird hearing that from the king of saying "Why don't you just buy it?"

[Edited on 6/18/2008 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 14:07

None of the trimethylbenzenes is used in any illegal drug manufacture. They could be used as solvents and that is probably why Beebo needs it - as an inert high boiling solvent, apparently for his "dehydrogenation experiment". This is also probably the reason why he does not know which one of the three regioisomeric trimethylbenzenes he is buying.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2008 at 16:57

BromicAcid, I simply find it tiresome that so many people post the logical equivalent of"How can I make bricks without straw?" The constant replay of that scene from THE TEN COMMANDMENTS gets old.

In the case of this thread, the thread author appears to have been trying to set us up somehow. I got a PM from him that leads me to believe he may be a former (banned) member returning under a new handle, perhaps with an agenda.

chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 19-6-2008 at 15:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

In the case of this thread, the thread author appears to have been trying to set us up somehow. I got a PM from him that leads me to believe he may be a former (banned) member returning under a new handle, perhaps with an agenda.

Do you mean retaliation involving a sting? Problem is, you guys responded to him. Posters like this you should not pay mind to.

Fellow molecular manipulator
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 19-6-2008 at 16:05

Could someone explain why the original poster referred to himself as a moose? Is it the new SWIM?

brew
Hazard to Self

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 19-6-2008 at 18:36

Dear beebo,

What you do is you ring up the place and say, I am doing some private research in the area of ............ and need the following chemicals. I know that an individual purchasing certain chemicals is problematic however I can supply you with Photo ID, liscence and address details, I am unsure of the protocol you have in place for such a situation but if you could let me know what information I need to supply I will do so prior my ordering
Going about it this way, means that you have no problem what so ever, everything is above board and no-one suspects a thing. :)
I really dont know why you appear so paranoid and wanting to be so inconspicous :cool::D
As far as the valid reason goes for purchasing these chemicals I dont quite follow, I thought that usually one knows the reason why one wants the chemicals to begin with. :D. Each to their own. I am sure that the people at the chemical supply company would have enough chemical knowledge to have a fair idea of the use of the reagants they sell hence perhaps they might be able to give you a few suggestions. I am sure if you mentioned the dehydrogenation procedure you and moose have in mind and mention this also to the chem supply company they might be able to assist you with some experiments you could do.:D
As far as wanting to know all the right answers to all the questions well I just think if your that concerned with appearing perhaps ignorant of chemistry ????etc, their is some wonderful learner texts included in this forum. That way you wont appear perhaps ignorant if you get questioned with the reagants you are ordering.
I hope I have helped. There really is not such a need to be so paranoid. Now is there!!!!

Go To Top