Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Collection] Periodic Table elements
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 08:17
[Collection] Periodic Table elements

Hey lads,

I recently created an account on this forum and I wanted to create a small topic to show you guys my element collection I made gathering stuff from ebay, specialized websites and isolating elements myself.

Under the element collection, I have a mineral collection.

My phone quality isn't the best. If you guys want to specifically know or see what's on each frame, just ask! I'll respond with a picture if necessary.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate, I'll gladly respond as soon as possible.

uMC6aAef.jpg - 248kB
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 08:57

Pretty cool. It would be nice to see some close-ups of your elements, especially the rare and most interesting ones.

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 09:42

Do you really have those unstable radioactive ones?!

[Edited on 181205 by fusso]

morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 12:25

Color me impressed.
Share more as you can because this is of high interest to many members here.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 12:42

That is a lovely display. It is looking very complete.
Always the question -- what do you have as a fluorine sample?
Corret me if I am wrong but it looks like you have placeholders for the radioactive species and the superheavies.
What do you have bottom left on the actinide row?
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 13:48

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Pretty cool. It would be nice to see some close-ups of your elements, especially the rare and most interesting ones.

I'm still trying to understand how to use the website so pardon me if I don't reply the right way.

I'll do a few close-ups in a bit, no worries!
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 13:53

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Do you really have those unstable radioactive ones?!

[Edited on 181205 by fusso]

Nope! Radioactive ones are the only ones I do not own. Too expensive and wayy to dangerous to keep in a simple glass vial in my bedroom. I already violate a lot of safety procedures by having chlorine and bromine in my bedroom but welp.

These radioactive samples are simulated using powders or chunks of regular metals.

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
That is a lovely display. It is looking very complete.
Always the question -- what do you have as a fluorine sample?
Corret me if I am wrong but it looks like you have placeholders for the radioactive species and the superheavies.
What do you have bottom left on the actinide row?

For fluorine, I displayed pure fluorine in 80% of helium in a sealed glass vial (you can't see anything obviously), a tube of toothpaste and fluorite.

For the superheavies and radioactive ones, like said above, I used powders of stable metals.

On the bottom left, it's an acrylic cube with a vial of bromine in it.
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 14:01

Here's more pictures:

7ELnnTHv.jpg - 181kBd0Z7tXa8.jpg - 174kBXBbD7tIg.jpg - 200kBk100JVWK.jpg - 200kBoxhIdVSu.jpg - 247kBWvXZZ8Ac.jpg - 272kBPdd3zlYe.jpg - 280kB
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 16:13

Ohh it looks great! Pardon my ignorance but what's the connection between arsenic and retroreflectors?
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorOfPhilosophy  
Ohh it looks great! Pardon my ignorance but what's the connection between arsenic and retroreflectors?

This reflector has red LEDs fixed under them and arsenic is used in red LEDs, along with gallium!
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 17:36

looks marvelous. well done

i will also be incorporating minerals in my display. can you show them too plz

[Edited on 6-12-2018 by diddi]

Beginning construction of periodic table display
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 02:09

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
looks marvelous. well done

i will also be incorporating minerals in my display. can you show them too plz

[Edited on 6-12-2018 by diddi]

There you go!

8SYYNiJv.jpg - 296kBx5G3matZ.jpg - 256kB9orFtT4p.jpg - 253kBjsTEEyGk.jpg - 247kBh2FfmUpv.jpg - 226kBCQhaPf7x.jpg - 224kBldLsVRZa.jpg - 218kBTPqBqLYH.jpg - 214kBVrRZ2ZeU.jpg - 212kB
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 04:05

Wow !
Impressive collections. Both of them.

How long did it take you to gather all the elements ?
(I love the toys / miniatures like the bleach bottle)
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 08:06

Beautiful collections and displays. I like that you included minerals and other representative objects with the elements too; that's pretty neat. The tiny bleach bottle is hilarious!
Did you make that ampoule of liquid chlorine yourself? How did you liquefy the gas and seal the ampoule? The pressure buildup always worries me with that one.
It looks like the rubidium vial is empty? I don't see anything! That's one of the final two I need.
Finally I like how you laid out your mineral collection. The color grouping reminds me of a beautiful display they have at the Smithsonian museum in DC.
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 09:20

Quote: Originally posted by Biotech_Yossorab  
Quote: Originally posted by DoctorOfPhilosophy  

This reflector has red LEDs fixed under them and arsenic is used in red LEDs, along with gallium!

Ah very good. It would be fun (not sure if that's the right word?) to try to extract it.
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 10:59

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Beautiful collections and displays. I like that you included minerals and other representative objects with the elements too; that's pretty neat. The tiny bleach bottle is hilarious!
Did you make that ampoule of liquid chlorine yourself? How did you liquefy the gas and seal the ampoule? The pressure buildup always worries me with that one.
It looks like the rubidium vial is empty? I don't see anything! That's one of the final two I need.
Finally I like how you laid out your mineral collection. The color grouping reminds me of a beautiful display they have at the Smithsonian museum in DC.

The liquid chlorine was purchased but I made the gaseous chlorine myself.
The rubidium isn't empty tho. There's a small vial in there.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 14:10

the minerals look quite attractive as you have laid them out. i have minerals i will not include in periodic table to display as well as the PT ones. i am still trying to decide how to group them. i have been working with a fellow collector sorting and identifying his material and i think we have rearranged everything about 4 times already trying to get the system right. big task - about 2000 specimens. it seems that his has worked best sorted by location (which i note you have not included on labels). i am leaning toward sorting my principal metal at this stage but i really dont know.

my PT will have allowance for a representative mineral to sit with the element, so As may have a sample with supporting mineral such as realgar on orpiment, Ge may be supported by renierite etc

its a tricky thing to get right when you are not just putting an element in a box.

a respectful suggestion: i appreciate the provenance of the supplied bottle labels, but i would find it frustrating having all the lovely elements being hidden behind them. you could turn your bottles around and perhaps label the shelf or something like that?

if you are interested in swapping for some minerals from australia, PM me
also you will see there are a couple of mineral ID threads here on SM

Beginning construction of periodic table display
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2018 at 10:19

What are the dimensions of each element cell, and the overall dimensions of the whole display? Looks like you have plenty of room for lots of samples in each cubby.
Plunkett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-12-2018 at 12:41

That mineral collection is really neat. You may already have some, I cannot tell, but halite from the Dead Sea has a 0.4% bromide content if you want a bromine "ore". What material did you use to build the display? Also, what is in the drum to the left of the mineral cabinet? Last, I do not think Duracell Plus Power batteries are lithium based

[Edited on 7-12-2018 by Plunkett]
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-12-2018 at 14:42

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
What are the dimensions of each element cell, and the overall dimensions of the whole display? Looks like you have plenty of room for lots of samples in each cubby.

Each cube is 8x10x8 cm!
Biotech_Yossorab
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-12-2018 at 14:48

Quote: Originally posted by Plunkett  
That mineral collection is really neat. You may already have some, I cannot tell, but halite from the Dead Sea has a 0.4% bromide content if you want a bromine "ore". What material did you use to build the display? Also, what is in the drum to the left of the mineral cabinet? Last, I do not think Duracell Plus Power batteries are lithium based

[Edited on 7-12-2018 by Plunkett]

I don't think I'm going to add more stuff on the bromine cabinet since it's already pretty full... and I'm affraid to knock out the tiny ampoule with bromine in it. Well, there's two of them but yeah... I want to give it a little bit of space. :p

The drum was used to store a special resin that I found empty in the workplace of my father. I just cleaned and brought it home because it was looking pretty cool with all the warning labels on it and all.

For the battery, well... it was written "alkali" on them but yeah, people get the idea. For the objects I'm not really looking into the exact brand or exact object that surely contains the element. It's more to show what they can be used for. For exemple, the pen you see in the osmium cabinet does not contain osmium. It's a cheap pen I've bought somewhere... didn't want to waste 60 bucks for a top notch pen I'm never going to use.
Same goes for the molybdenum drill. I really don't know if there is molybdenum in it, I just bought a type of drill with an alloy that could contain some.

Go To Top