Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Erythritol Tetranitrate
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2022 at 05:05

Quote: Originally posted by BlackPowderBoy  

After reading "Life After Detonation" I would almost rather spend more and use up more methanol just to avoid heating it to a boil and putting ETN into it.

Happy Saint Barb day !
I thought these words of wisdome deserved a bigger font size.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 20:34

I think I might have melt cast my ETN by complete accident! I wanted to give it a very late wash with a hot sodium bicarbonate solution and while it was not boiling, it was kinda steaming. After heating the solution I transferred it to my 2 liter beaker and then waited a minute before adding my ETN supply...

and after giving it a stir... the stuff became a blob at the bottom and then kinda stuck there.

I wanted to give it a sodium bicarbonate wash because I never did that before and I thought 'better late than never' to make sure all acid is done and gone forever (even though I recrystalized this stuff TWICE).

Now I am scared... very scared. melt-cast etn is much more sensitive and I don't want to end up with another 'life after detonation' story. I must proceed with utmost caution.

edit: OK the big disk at the bottom came out without issue, but it is still solid... I am really scared guys...

[Edited on 5-6-2023 by ManyInterests]
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2023 at 23:57

I don't think melt cast ETN is more sensitive than powdered ETN. It is more sensitive WHILE you have it heated/molten, but once cooled, it is not. Probably less so, in fact, than when crystalline.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 00:15

Cast ETN processing........This process was tryied 10x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZSXL8xxzKs

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 03:12

Quote:
I don't think melt cast ETN is more sensitive than powdered ETN. It is more sensitive WHILE you have it heated/molten, but once cooled, it is not. Probably less so, in fact, than when crystalline.

That was still a lot of ETN and it was large solid puck. breaking it up and grinding it would require some force. I am not taking that risk. But if it is actually less sensitive then... cool! I might piecemeal melt-cast my ETN this way in the future.

Quote:

Cast ETN processing........This process was tryied 10x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZSXL8xxzKs

Yeah I saw your video and downloaded it a long time ago. it had a LOT more ETN than that and it wouldn't be as easy to break it up without some force, so I didn't want to do it. But maybe next time.

At any rate, I remember that there is no reason not to recrystalize it... so I got some acetone and melt it all in there.
specialactivitieSK
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 06:47

https://youtu.be/fAMPtd0MKgo
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 09:46

ManyInterests.....Oh yes... hockey puck dissolved in acetone....Always is possible pour 5 grams on warm plate and evaporate acetone. And create thin layer for small experiments....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2023 at 13:57

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  
I think I might have melt cast my ETN by complete accident! I wanted to give it a very late wash with a hot sodium bicarbonate solution and while it was not boiling, it was kinda steaming. After heating the solution I transferred it to my 2 liter beaker and then waited a minute before adding my ETN supply...

and after giving it a stir... the stuff became a blob at the bottom and then kinda stuck there.

I wanted to give it a sodium bicarbonate wash because I never did that before and I thought 'better late than never' to make sure all acid is done and gone forever (even though I recrystalized this stuff TWICE).

Now I am scared... very scared. melt-cast etn is much more sensitive and I don't want to end up with another 'life after detonation' story. I must proceed with utmost caution.

edit: OK the big disk at the bottom came out without issue, but it is still solid... I am really scared guys...

[Edited on 5-6-2023 by ManyInterests]

I think you're overreacting a bit. You can just dissolve in a solvent and crash it out the ETN to bring it back to a powder, it's rather fragile so I don't think very carefully crushing it poses too much risk.

Another option is to remelt it in hot water while strongly stirring on a stir plate, this breaks it up into tiny globs which harden as the water cools yielding a dense and coarse powder. This actually works to neutralize crude ETN if you use a hot bicarb solution, I believe a similar process is used for processing crude TNT.
I don't know how necessarily safe it is but it can be done remotely.and I've done it numerous times without issue.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2023 at 14:01

It's OK. I recrystalized it. It's fine. I also found that it did need a recrystalization. I remember when I did it last time I thoguht there was some undissolved ETN. But it turned out to be impurities. I filtered them out this time. So I got some very clean and super pure ETN now.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top