Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: NaOH
Al Koholic
Hazard to Self

Mood: Seeking ligand

[*] posted on 22-12-2003 at 10:07

What I have always done on newer AT power supplies is just to plug one of the power connectors into an old CD-ROM or something...

This lets the power supply see that there is a correct load and keeps it from making that buzzing noise.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 8-1-2004 at 15:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Saerynide
Money is a big issue, but parents are a even larger issue. They'll freak if they saw something like reagent grade sulphuric acid in the house/garage and they'll wonder why Im buying this sort of stuff.
On the other hand, if I made the substance myself, then I just say "Im learning from it" which is true (and its more fun than just buying the chemical) :D

You desperately need a cover hobby. If you appear to be using chemicals as a means to something else rather than an end in themself, your parents will probably be more accomodating.

Why not take up alternative photography? You'll probably be able to find a supplier in your country. If you start by making photograms (i.e. images made by placing an object in front of a light sensitive surface) with the cyanotype process, you will need absolutely no special equipment (not even a darkroom, although a reasonably dark working environment is advisable). Alternative photographic suppliers are probably the number one source for amateur chemistry supplies, and so you can order lots of other stuff as well.

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 10-1-2004 at 08:49

Quote:
Why not take up alternative photography? You'll probably be able to find a supplier in your country. If you start by making photograms (i.e. images made by placing an object in front of a light sensitive surface) with the cyanotype process, you will need absolutely no special equipment (not even a darkroom, although a reasonably dark working environment is advisable). Alternative photographic suppliers are probably the number one source for amateur chemistry supplies, and so you can order lots of other stuff as well.

I think I'll stay clear of cyanide compounds. I like being alive :D
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 10-1-2004 at 09:04

Quote:

I think I'll stay clear of cyanide compounds. I like being alive :D

Potassium Ferricyanide isn't particularly toxic. Although it contains cyanide ions, they are bound very tightly to the iron(III) ion.

The reagents for cyanotype are actually safer than the silver compounds used for conventional photography.

Edited to add: That only goes for the original cyanotype composition. Some variants containing oxalates or dichromates are toxic.

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by I am a fish]

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 21:30

I love the idea of using an old CDROM drive as a load for the PSU but sadly mine seems to have died as I messed with the thing trying to get it to stop buzzing.:( Is there anyway to fix it? I have a multimeter if that would help.

I have an old 486 that I used to steal the PSU from and I also have an old CD drive but now that the PSU is shot I can't use anything else because I only have my one good computer(running Linux).

Is there any other good power source that I can get short of "finding" or buying a PSU or old 386/486?

I will ask my mom to be on the lookout for yardsales that have an old busted computer.

What if, what is isn\'t true?
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 01:38

Actually, cases with a built-in PSU are nowadays cheaper than replacement PSU:s.

Try connecting a 12V fan to the 12V output of the PSU.

If all else fails, a new ATX PSU shouldn't cost more than say $25. Just make sure you connect the power-something line to ground, otherwise it won't start. Some ATX PSU:s also need to be loaded to actually start --- i would suggest a 12V fan, which could at the same time cool the PSU, a side benefit.

Edit: Pity you live on the other side of the atlantic, otherwise I would GIVE you an old AT PSU..... Sorry.

[Edited on 2004-2-12 by axehandle]

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
agp123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 05:10

1. What is the max temperature to which sodium hypochlorite solution of 6.65% NaOH,6.70% NaCl,8.5% NaOCl and bal as Water be kept for withoud decomposition?

2.We have a waste solution containing 5.75%KOH,0.25%NaOH,0.35% sod salt of
m nitro benzene sulfonic acid,0.3% sod salt of m amono benzene sulfonic acid,0.25% of hdyoxy derivatives of benzanthrone intermediates and bal water.Could you pl suggest us recovering KOH and NaOH from this?

Pl reply to te.agp@atul.co.in

A G Patel INDIA
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top