Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any fellow pakistani here?
CrimsonRed
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 07:37
Any fellow pakistani here?

Any fellow pakistani home chemists here or even someone from the middle east? from what I have see is that no one seems to be from pakistan or the middle east.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 07:58

I dont think ISIS would send undercover agents here to join the discussion

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 08:08

That isn't funny, fusso. Amateur chemists from any part of the world are welcome here.

@CrimsonRed: I don't recall any other members from Pakistan, though I think there was someone from Iran.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 08:28

It would be sad if we had no one else from the region.

I cant say for Pakistan but I have seen many interesting publications from India in several fields: Chemistry, physics, rockets, green EM, etc.
Some of these publications are way more advanced and open than some western counterpart.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 11:00

I don't know about Pakistani chemistry, but they definitely did a pretty descend job developing and exploiting nuclear science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karachi_Nuclear_Power_Complex

And there is no country without accidents when it comes to nuclear engineering.

Aziz, Faisal (Oct 20, 2011). "Leak at Pakistani nuclear plant, but no damage". reuters.com. Retrieved 22 October 2011.

By coincidence I found this one earlier today about a cover-up in a Dutch fast breeder reactor not too long ago.

Quote:

"On a winter night in December 2001 there was a power failure in North Holland, where Petten is located. The nuclear reactor is a research reactor, not a power reactor; it needs electricity to operate, for instance to pump cooling water. The reactor has a back-up cooling system to prevent meltdown of the core in case of a power failure. But this evening the back-up cooling system failed to come into action and the operators did not know what to do. There is an extra safety system by convection cooling for which the operators had to open a valve, but the control room was dark. When they reached for a torch that should have been there, it had been taken away by a colleague to work under his car. Trying their luck the operators put the valve of the convection cooling in what they thought was the 'open' position. But then the lights came back on and the operators discovered they had actually closed the back-up convection cooling system. Had the power failure lasted longer it would have meant meltdown and a major disaster. When I learned about this some months later - they thought they could keep it secret - I did not think I could take responsibility any longer and I resigned from the ECN."[8][9]

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 14:06

I know the user "qeezur" is from the University of Karachi but I don't think he's been active for a while.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 16:03

When I was a young boy I lived in Peshawar on a USAF base for about two years, the base where the u2 flew out of.
CrimsonRed
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 20:23

I guess I am the only here then, I really wanted to buy some chemicals from outside of pakistan and like I am not sure if I would get in trouble even though there is a really big chemical market in my city where I bought all of my chemicals and I remember asking these guys about vanadium, tellurium, selenium and such but they either didn't know about it or didn't have it and also apparently lithium compounds are very expensive although I manage to buy around some 150 grams of lithium chloride for like 5$ although it was basically a puddle of water and the salt in the container. Maybe I didn't really look up in every corner, also I think there might be a reason why no one is from pakistan who is a home chemist is because chemicals = explosives in pakistan and I think majority of the people in pakistan think that anything that is a chemical is dangerous and unfortunately bombings do occur here and chemicals like potassium nitrate, permanganate, phosphorous, ethers, alcohols, alkali metals are used in explosives from what they've told me and are very restricted but I did manage to buy some of them although they refuse to sell me alkali metal and I manage to buy calcium nitrate but no one would sell me potassium nitrate, I just ended up making my own potassium nitrate and also I remember up seeing this bottle of picric acid in solution I presume it was for titration but he was selling it for quite cheap but it was probably really diluted. I really wanna know if it is safe to buy lithium metal as well as selenium and tellurium from ebay and get it shipped to pakistan
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 01:08

As you seem to be the only member in Pakistan I doubt that others can give a definite answer
try ordering some stuff that is not available in Pakistan but also not illegal,
when it arrives you will get an idea of ;
. any taxes or duties or 'other' costs
. whether or not your package has been physically opened and inspected
. what kind of look the delivery guy gives you

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
CrimsonRed
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 07:06

I mean I looked the list of banned items and the main thing that is restricted in terms of chemical are explosives or strong oxidizing agents and I can't really find any proper answer. I guess I'll order some lithium metal, if it is not allowed then its probably gonna get confiscated, I really wanna buy some lithium metal since I'll be visiting pakistan in like 10 days, lithium became my favorite element but unfortunately its impossible to get in pakistan...
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 08:06

Quote: Originally posted by CrimsonRed  
I really wanna buy some lithium metal since I'll be visiting pakistan in like 10 days, lithium became my favorite element but unfortunately its impossible to get in pakistan...
You mean "moving to"?

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 08:51

... I really wanna buy some lithium metal since I'll be visiting pakistan in like 10 days ...

You are a Pakistani visiting Pakistan to buy chemicals ?

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 09:44

PM me for some selenium
CrimsonRed
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 19:10

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
... I really wanna buy some lithium metal since I'll be visiting pakistan in like 10 days ...

You are a Pakistani visiting Pakistan to buy chemicals ?

So I should've clarified that I currently live in Qatar but I'll be going to Pakistan in like 10 days and I would stay there for 20 days, Qatar is pretty restricted in terms of anything and I miss my chemicals at home lol
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 19:21

On the lithium metal thing...
Surely ou can get hold of some lithium AA batteries? On eBay if nowhere else. That is what a lot of us use for this reagent. It is pretty convenient as a foil and the fact that it comes packaged in nice little units is a bonus.

[edit] Wy do I only notice typos after I have clicked?

[Edited on 13-12-2018 by j_sum1]
CrimsonRed
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2018 at 20:32

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
On the lithium metal thing...
Surely ou can get hold of some lithium AA batteries? On eBay if nowhere else. That is what a lot of us use for this reagent. It is pretty convenient as a foil and the fact that it comes packaged in nice little units is a bonus.

[edit] Wy do I only notice typos after I have clicked?

[Edited on 13-12-2018 by j_sum1]

Well that was my initial plan and I did buy a lithium energizer battery in Pakistan but it was quite expensive and I never saw it again, I asked those guys if they knew where I could get them but no one had them which was kinda frustrating, the problem with battery lithium is how do I convert them into say a solid piece instead of the foil form and from what I've seen is that its not easy to melt lithium metal and I remember melting it in vegetable oil and I did get minuscule balls of lithium and that was like 2 years ago I think.

Edit : Also I tried electrolysis of fused lithium chloride and potassium chloride and I think I got a speck of lithium metal but its really hard to do electrolysis without really proper equipment, honestly I would love to make all the alkali metals on my own without having to buy them directly, so far I have only been able to create sodium metal.

[Edited on 13-12-2018 by CrimsonRed]
CrimsonRed
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-12-2018 at 09:41

Also I've got a lot of things I wanna discuss, do I discuss it here or do I make separate posts about it?
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 13-12-2018 at 12:36

Definitely separate thread.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 5-1-2019 at 16:39

Umm. We had a guy from United Arab Emirates, but I haven't seen a post in a while.

Alkali metals have been synthesized by our friend NurdRage on YouTube. I will provide a link.

Make inquiries about legality before you stock up. You don't want any misunderstandings.

Also, physically moving reagents across an international border is touchy business.

Perhaps, you should purchase reagents, and ship them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiZf-O6vvbE

There are numerous related videos by the same author.

The most recent video(I could find) offers some refinements. Perhaps a little long, but infinitely faster than having to do all of that experimentation personally. 90% yields, using reagents most of us can get.

Thank you Nurdrage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxPjBz_8S3c

[Edited on 6-1-2019 by zed]

Go To Top