Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New lab should be in next week...
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 15:36
New lab should be in next week...

I recently took the plunge and bought a 40 foot shipping container that I intend to convert into a laboratory.

Going to divide it into two sections and seal one off from the rest, wire it up for power, and paint it with supertherm insualting paint.

Should be a nice private secure lab when I get done.

I can't wait to get moved in. :D

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 16:10

Very cool, surely you'll post pictures right? :D
What do you mean by a shipping container?
I'm not to sure what that is.
National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 16:55

Like a big 40 foot long metal box that they use to ship things on trucks and cargo ships. I think one of those would make a very nice lab, I may eventually set something up similar. How much did it cost?
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bohr'd

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 17:16

The first thing I would do is saw out a few more openings for doors. Bad thing to be inside there in one end behind something bad happening.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 18:39

Will you have any windows? Not getting any sunlight would drive me nuts. Or maybe you will just leave one of those big double doors open. :D Or skylights?

I would run water and sewer to that puppy also if at all possible.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 18:42

The container itself was $2600 and some change delivered.

Another steel door will probably set me back around $300-400 to get installed.

I figure another $500 and some change will get it partitioned and wired up the way I want it.

Couple hundred bucks to get it painted... sheesh they are expensive to get decked out.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 18:52

Quote:

The container itself was $2600 and some change delivered.

That's not bad for 320 ft2 of secure, weatherproof space, delivered.
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-9-2008 at 19:33

That sounds pricey.. who needs steel doors? I say toss in what ever you have lying around. We have re-engineered a few containers for various uses including my favorite, an underground storage area.
There really are no rules just fire up the torch and create! The only difficult thing is that the containers are made of a special steel called Corten. It's a serious bitch to weld.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 07:12

Actually the price was pretty cheap, but shipping ate me alive on it.

Considering I'm 120+ miles from the nearest depot and @$3 per mile it adds up pretty quick.

And I had considered getting a cheaper door, security is #1 priority since where I intend to locate the box is not near any homes and considering the nature of what is to be stored there.

solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 07:28

Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and if you plan to bury it have more than one exit in case of a fast exit.....so it gets far away from the box......I plan something similar with sklights and a garden above to keep the green chemistry alive........solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 07:39

I dont understand why two doors is a neccesity...
Surly if you store all you flammables and generally anything which will burn at the other end of the shippiing container there will be nothing to burn near the door, Eg. have you work are near the door and you chems other side.
Also keep a fire extinguisher near you chems... If all else fails climb out a window :P
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 11:02

shipping containers don't have windows!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
Picric-A
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 11:20

But they are easily cut with an angle grinder!, you could even furnish it with nice fire resistant curtains once done:)
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 13:40

Shipping containers are also very hard for the Pigs to break into, if they wanted to frame you for allegedly making drugs, especially if buried below ground on a large property which would also make it very hard to find. However, to bury it below ground, you would firstly need a bulldozer to excavate a pit (with drainage pipes from it to stop water from accumulating) into which it is to be unloaded by the delivery truck, and then the spoil back-filled around it (after rust-proofing its exterior, and laying ventilation and water-supply pipes and an entrance-way).
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2008 at 17:47

As already mentioned, shipping containers are typically made of COR-TEN steel. This differs enough from ordinary steels that it is worth reading up on

http://www.steelbridges.org/pdfs/Weathering.pdf

http://search.aisc.org/queryMSC.html?qt=WEATHERING+STEEL&...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cor-ten
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 13:07

The main reason for the partition is that the container will be used for both work and storage... I do not want acid fumes getting anywhere near my tools!

Burial is out too... it could be done, but mainly for the same reason as above I don't want to be runnig up and down steps every time i need to get a different sized wrench.

Also buried storage containers are very suspicious to LE.. they figure if you got something like that buried you gotta be hiding something in there.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 16:03

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
Also buried storage containers are very suspicious to LE.. they figure if you got something like that buried you gotta be hiding something in there.

But how can they tell whether you even have a buried shipping container containing a laboratory, especially if it is buried on a large rural property at a place out of sight from the road?
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 20-9-2008 at 17:19

Satellites and big piles of dirt.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 21-9-2008 at 03:46

Jeez I wish I could be fortunate enough to get a little plot of land. Evil-lurker, how did you manage the location if I may ask? The $2600 for the container sounds almost within reach for many dedicated home chemists.

Speaking of steel doors, the cost of all metals has gone out of control! Mainly because of the dwindling dollar. I recently went to a discount hardware store and choked at the cost of a copper sheet. It wa 26 gauge 24 by 24 inches for $53!! In 2001 it was $30! It almost doubled in 7 years!

Fellow molecular manipulator
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 21-9-2008 at 11:33

Won't it look suspect to have a shipping container with windows which some one goes into for hours on end?

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
ordenblitz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-9-2008 at 15:45

The buried container I spoke of was not completely underground. We dug a big trench into a hillside and backed the container in and filled over leaving the door end exposed. Worked very well except the roof needed to be reinforced with 6"x8" I beams every 8 ft to Keep the roof from imploding under the weight of the dirt.

Our purpose was chemical storage since it's always cool in there but never freezing regardless of the weather.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 19:52

Just a quick update with random stuff.... the new lab is here.

Got it almost painted inside and out... needs a bit around the bottom and some touch up here and there. Used an HVLP gun to do most of the painting. Color came out a bit lighter than what I had expected. Also took some thinning of the paint by about 10% before the gun would spray it worth a damn.

Almost level (off by like 3-4cm). Set it up on concrete 16"x16"x4" "trailer pads". Had a bitch of a time getting it lifted up... my 65KW tractor could not lift one end of it up.

Moving my primary work bench and attached frame will be the hardest part. I'll have to use the tractor and forklift attachment to move it since its solid steel and weighs in well over 100kgs.

Hopefully I'll have the whole thing wired up and ready to go by the end of the week... then again, a new fume hood would be nice too...

National Hazard

Mood: HSbF6

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 20:00

Man I'm jealous. Looks very nice.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 12:53

Why did you paint it like that? Some dull camouflage green and it would have vanished into the background.

[Edited on 2-10-2008 by vulture]
Picric-A
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 13:38

Nice new lab! i dont know why you painted it white, makes it stand out alot dont you think?
i agree with Vulture, a camouflage green would be nice but still, its whats inside that counts...
How are you thinking of getting electricity in there? from the pictures it looks quite secluded.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top