Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New lab should be in next week...
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 14:11

You can't hide a box that big. Atempting to hide it with color would just look suspicious. What Joe Blow will see when he comes upon the property with the double doors open is a shop with all the usual tools, work bench, etc. The lab will be behind a sealed partition, with separate entrance via steel door in the back, not obvious from the approach road. Tell us if I'm wrong, Evil.

A suggestion for your hood fan. Don't place it on the roof like you would like to, but inside with just a wall grate for outlet. Unless, by placing it on the roof it will just look like it is part of your shop in the front. :cool:

Nice looking piece of property, BTW. Who has to mow the lawn?
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 15:59

Hahaha its a hayfield and its getting ready to be cut once again before winter. Doesn't take too long with a 9 foot disc mower to scalp a field.

Yeah, Magpie hit the nail on the head... for all anyone knows its just a workshop/storage building. Vent hood exhaust = a chimney for a wood stove for all anyone knows.

Power will come off a pole across the road in behind the box. Its kinda hard to see in the pic above, but its there. Electric company will charge $150ish to hook it up and sink a pole. Meter box, breakers, wiring I figure will cost around $400 by the time its said and done.

I'm setting up the power as a temporary RV hookup, that way I can bypass the code inspector on some stuff.

This is turning into quite the project.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 16:24

Quote:

Vent hood exhaust = a chimney for a wood stove for all anyone knows.

I like that. Every shop I see has a wood stove.

It would be nice to locate the blower outside for noise reduction. But you have to consider the weather and the fact it would be visible from the outside.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 18:52

Ah I learned a long time ago that the best place to hide things from nosy individuals is right in plain sight.

I got to thinking about it, and instead of going on and doing a new lab, I could scale back my plans, put some insulating paint here and there and have a nice little "crack shack" for when I need to bring home a girl from the bar.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
jarynth
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 19:28

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
Vent hood exhaust = a chimney for a wood stove for all anyone knows.

Hmmm look at those brown fumes, the stove must be burning redwood. ;)

No kidding, im jealous. It would be awesome to place it underground as a secret bunker...but you'd have to dig at night.

[Edited on 3-10-2008 by jarynth]
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 21:44

This is exactly what I plan to have in my yard when i eventually own a house! I'm surprised you got it for how cheap you did by the way! nice find. :p

I'd like to have it underground, not for any secret reasons, although, It would be for sure. mostly because an underground laboratory seems fun - I believe it would be easier to keep at decent temperatures from summer to winter if it were underground, but maybe not. Also, I want a big lawn for growing all sorts of foods. Perhaps putting a green house above it, if it were underground would be a good way to conceal the fume hood, if there were any reason to hide it. Green houses have fans and stuff sticking out of them right? Or just put a small shed above it - that is better i think because then you could have a lot of the non-chemical stuff, but that still finds a lot of use in chemistry.

Anyways, it looks amazing Evil_Lurker! great job!
I can't wait to see the inside of it sometime!
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 21:54

As I noted before CO-TEN steel can hove corrosion problems if buried, it 'wanrs' exposure to air and standing water is to be avoided if possible; as with most ferrous alloys halides are death to it.

There's an alternative for underground structures, although not as cheap as used shipping containers

http://blissful.co.nz/blog/archives/2004_04_21st_century_hob...
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 22:14

Oh I didn't see that about corrosion, sorry. Well, I still have many years to go before I ever start to build this sort of thing I'll worry about it then haha.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2008 at 17:41

Well, after much work, moving day is finally here. I've decided on starting to move reagents and glassware tonight.

Unfortunately the container will have to be used for storage and not much research due to not getting the partition and separate door installed.

But at the least I'll have all my crap outta the house I'm in now and someplace secure that belongs to me and me alone.

Pictures to follow soon.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 6-1-2013 at 08:01

Sorry to revive an old thread, but do you have pictures of the inside, evil?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 10-1-2013 at 13:35

Oh man, this would be fantastic if I could just work up $2600. Also a space to put it, I don't think our yard is long enough (and my folks would NOT be happy come summer, when we have to mow). XD

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 09:56

That's awesome but you're going to have some unwanted visitors soon.
I hope that's an industrial zone.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 14:51

i saw you wrote about the door would be expensive, you could probably go to a blacksmith and have the door made in carbon-iron ''steel'' and have it covered with a nice thick layer of paint, it should keep it from rusting.. (;

also i saw this was used by fireworkers, with escape door... they had the whole inside covered with some white light-reflecting material, so they only had one little window in there, and it provided light for it all, they didnt use any electricity at all.. but it was nicely bright inside.. (;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFgisOw9mY&lc=rUmmGY3MEZ...

[Edited on 11-1-2013 by Antiswat]

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 09:54

How lucky...

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top