Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bromination of nitrobenzene
squeeker50
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2003 at 21:35
bromination of nitrobenzene

So basically what I need to know is how to do a bromination of nitrobenzene.
I have not been able to find any information on mechanisms or experimental procedures or anything. If anyone has any procedures, ideas, or places that I could look for procedures and ideas that woud be fantastic.....thanks so much!
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2003 at 14:49

Page 864 of the fifth edition of Vogel's textbook of practical organic chemistry(ISBN 0-582-46236-3)
How hard had you looked for this before you posted?
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 24-11-2003 at 12:11

I would like to precise that not all of us has access to chem book, until this years the highest rank of chembook i had access, excepted for the PDF found on some site, was high school chemistry handbook....
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2003 at 14:20

Ok So you don't have much of a library. You do have google. If you want to brominate nitrobenzene you will obviously need bromine, nitrobenzene and a flask.
Guess what you find if you google "bromine" "nitrobenzene" and "flask"?
Oh look a synthesis
"How hard had you looked before posting?" is still a valid question.
squeeker50
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-11-2003 at 15:16

unionised-
Terribly sorry to be such a bother to you. For your information I have been looking on every search engine I can think of using many different key words and phrases and have found a few mechanisms, lots of procedures for nitration of bromobenzene, but only one procedure for the bromination of nitrobenzene that I am not capable of doing at my lab. I'm sorry, I go to a community college that doesn't have every chemistry book published, but I did look and my proffesor has been looking and we havn't been very succesful. I found this site while searching on yahoo and decided to give it a shot. I just thought that this was what it was for. Please forgive me, I will try not to make the misteak again of posting a science question on a science discussion/question board.
:mad:
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2003 at 16:02

OK, Sorry.
I'm amazed that your prof hasn't got a copy of this book
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=257...
It has been the standard synthesis textbook since my dad did chemistry at university.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-11-2003 at 18:01

Quote:

how to do a bromination of nitrobenzene...... I have not been able to find any information on mechanisms or experimental procedures or anything

Well, because you are in college and doing synthesis you should know basic organic reactions pertaining to aromatics. Knowing that the nitro group present will deactivate the ring toward electrophilic aromatic substitution. Let alone the fact that bromine will not normally react with benzene all by its lonesome. Normally bromine is reacted with benzene in the presence of ferric or aluminum bromide in catalytic amounts. The same holds true (mostly) for halogenating nitrobenzene. So take your nitrobenzene, add your aluminum or iron shavings or anhydrous aluminum or ferric bromide. Add in slightly less then stoichiometric quantity of Br2 over a long period of time with efficent stirring and cooling if necessary to prevent bromination from continuing beyond the first substitution (bromine is also deactivating but like the other halogens causes ortho-para substitution in spite of this). After addition of all bromine gradually increase temperature and reflux gently for one hour or whatever being sure to exclude moisture from the system but being sure not to close the system HBr will generate.

Then seperate, quick look at a chemical encyclopedia for differences will show there is a 46 C difference in BP, I really wouldnt go this way but, check for azeotropes, distill off a majority of the nitrobenzene, wash what is left in flask with water (nitrobenzene slightly soluble in water plus get rid of polar contaminates, then wash with saturated salt solution) then fraction off the bromonitrobenzene.

The nitro group will direct substitution to the meta position and a large yeild of your product will be 1 - bromo - 3 - nitrobenzene. I didn't look up the reactions and I'm not totally sure if I'm correct but this just shows that basic organic chem, can give a decent idea of how to perform this reaction then you can go from there and ask more pertinent questions like "Since the nitrobenzene is deactivated to its current extent would a longer reflux then usual be necessary at higher temperatures to effectively convert all the nitrobenzene to bromonitrobenzene?"

As for the mechanism, that should be incredibly easy to find, the ferric bromide helps to turn the bromine into a stronger lewis acid which will allow it to attack the benzene ring directly.

Br - Br ---> FeBr3 ---> Br - Br(+) --- Fe(-)Br3

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top